Join now - be part of our community!

RX306 upgrade DVD

timpage
Visitor

RX306 upgrade DVD

Hello, I have just purchased a RX306 desktop pc. Is it possible to upgrade the DVD writer to a faster drive? Where can I purchase this from?
Thanks,
Tim

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

You can use any standard desktop DVD drive. Have a look at the Pioneer A06 and Sony DRU510 (There may be newer model available now so have a look around) - they are both quality drives.

chuckalicious
Visitor

Any drive will fit in the slot and so you can buy one from any shop, however you have the problem of the face plates (the bits that make it blend in with the colour of the case.). It's straight forward enough to remove the drive and slot the new one in, but you may not be able to put the nice blue plate on the front of the new drive, as different manufacturers make the drives differently.
However, you may be able to get one from Sony Spare Parts.

robpaxton
Explorer

Chances are if you go for the Sony drive then you will be able to unclip the fascia and fit it to your new drive.

kee-lo_

Sony's dual format DVD drive is a good buy.

chuckalicious
Visitor

That was my hope as well Rob, but no-one has been able to confirm whether or not the front plate will fit or not. You would hope so

kee-lo_

I hope it would, maybe someone could let us know if they successfully get it done.

smsmasters
Visitor

Does anyone know the easiest way to actually replace a drive? Thanks

chuckalicious
Visitor

Remove the side of the PC using the pull tab at the back
Romve the top of the PC using the 2 clips at the back and sliding the lid backwards.
You should now be able to get into the top of the drive. Unplug the cables from the drive and then remove the screws at the side (there may be ones on the other sie but I'm not sure how to get the other side off, but there wasn't on mine).
Unclip the front of the PC using a small screwdriver or such like with the two clips at the top front of the panel, one on either side. The top half of the front should now come off.
Yo ushould now be able to slide the drive out the front
Unclip the front panel of the old drive and see if you can clip it onto the new one to make it look the same.
Now slide the enw drive back in and screw it al in and connect up al the cables (being sure to check the master/slave config, just make it the same as the drive you just removed by looking at the jumperso nthe back of the drive which are little pins)
SLide it al back in and connect and screw together
Replace case
Done