Join now - be part of our community!

SATA 2 on RA304 Desktop

halibuts
Visitor

SATA 2 on RA304 Desktop

Hya all,

Can anyone tell me if a SATA 2 HDD will work on my RA304 which has a PTGO-VX Motherboard and work alongside the two 250Gb SATA HDDs?

I'm on the verge of buying a Western Digital WD10EACS 1000GB SATA 2 HDD and don't want to have a purchase disaster.
I currently have two Western Digital WD250 SATA HDDs with a raid 0 configuration.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi halibuts and welcome.

The great advantage of SATA drives is that they are always backward compatible - so any SATA drive (I, II, III etc.) will work OK in your RA304 and also with your older SATA drives.

Good Luck

halibuts
Visitor

Thank you so much for your information! I'll purchase now.
Another question, will I have to reconfigure the raid setup for the additional drive to become "striped" along with the existing?
Thanks again for your most appreciated help.

halibuts
Visitor

I've been reading up on this and am still flummoxed as to how to sort out this raid configuration. I hope you can help.
Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi halibuts,

I would leave the existing two drives in striped RAID 0 configuration and add the new drive as a normal non-RAID drive.

You can only set RAID 0 on a pair of identical drives - the striped RAID means that it writes to the two drives at the same time, a 128MB stripe to one drive then a 128MB stripe to the second, theoretically doubling the write speed.

To add a second RAID volume you would need to add two new drives in RAID 0 but for general storage I would just use a single drive with a new drive letter not formatted in any RAID configuration.

:wink:

halibuts
Visitor

Thanks once again!

The HDD is ordered and I'll be installing on Tuesday. Will let you know if all is well.

Cheers