Join now - be part of our community!

Screen resolution after lid open / resume

dcolley
Visitor

Screen resolution after lid open / resume

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been posted already - I have searched for an answer, but I don't see one.

I have a VGN-SZ4XWN/C with Vista Business, and all latest patches according to VAIO update.

Sometimes after a resume I have to reset my screen resolution baci to maximum - this is an annoyance at the moment.

I get intermittent screen freeze (black screen) when I want to resume after lid has been closed - this has not caused me data loss yet, but it's more than annoying... and makes me want to switch back to openSuse.

If there is any help on either of these errors please post here.

Thanks,
Derek

4 REPLIES 4
apierc1
Visitor

Hmm sounds dodgy to me, Vista = Dodgy, it's like a bad copy of Mac OS 10, should wait for Vienna.

glavaa
Visitor

you can try to set your laptop to hibenate instead of sleep when lid is closed!
you can do this under power options-choose what closing the lid does!
hope this helps.

glavaa

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Derek and welcome.

There is a Sony beta-fix for the screen resolution problem.

Here's the link: http://www.vaio-link.com/cbcdl/7.15.10.9813a.zip
(Use IE & the installation procedure is included in the zip file).

I stress this is a beta so it is up to you if you wish to try it.

:wink:

dcolley
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for the post, but this machine is too important to mess with right now. As I say, the resolution issue is an annoyance at the moment.

I live in fear while I am learning the 'joys' of Vista. It would be so much cooler if Sony sponsored a linux project for all the Sony laptops, then I could go back to openSuse... I can only dream.

Anyway, I can't afford to lose a day without my machine, and as I take the laptop to client sites I don't always have time or opportunity to roll back a dodgy driver update.

I'll wait until the formal release comes out - hopefully that won't be long. I am [somewhat] pleased that the problem is known, and a solution is in the pipeline.

Rgds,
Derek