Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RS222 drive help

Danuk
Visitor

Sony RS222 drive help

Hi all, Need some help with my Vaio ( AGAIN LOL)

I have been playing some dvds back via the dvd+-RW drive as the RS222 only comes with a cd-rom drive as its second drive and i have noticed the movies splutter a bit and sometimes the picture breaks up and then carries on normal. I have downloaded the lastest firmware but no luck still the same/ tried various discs still the same also.

My question is would it be worth replacing the cd-rom drive with a dvd-rom drive, would this make much difference ????

And if it would make a difference where can i get a drive that would fit into the sony vaio slot and allow me to have all the same covers on it. I.e Like for like swap regarding shape , colour , fitment etc.

So where and how much would it cost and should i do it. I watch a lot of dvds on my pc as only dvd player in house at moment so let me know.

Dan :smileygrin:

5 REPLIES 5
chuckalicious
Visitor

A few things to check first. Is there an update for the CD Rom drive on the Vaio-Link site? THere was for mine, and it was to stop stuttering in playback and to allow UDMA mode (speeds up transfer)
Also, go into device manager, find the IDE controllers and make sure that everything is set to use DMA if posible. This will ensure that Windows will make it as fast as it can.
However, the first suggestion is probably the one to look for first

Danuk
Visitor

Thanks for the reply, there are no upgrades for the drive in the vaio link, only thing is i am trying to play DVD so they won't play on the cd rom drive anyway they have to play on the dv-+ rw drive. I have the lastest firmware for that but no change. I also checked the Ide and they are all set to ultra dma mode and one is ultra dma mode 5B ut there are no other chices other than PIO.

So that leaves me with the dvd-+rw drive which i think would not playback dvds fast because of it being a dvdrw too.

What do you think i should do , is it worth getting a dvd rom and instead of the cd rom drive, if so where and how much and is it easy ?

Thanks again.
:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

All DVD-R/RW drives are designed to read at 1X speed or greater. If the drive wont read a DVD-ROM at >1X speed then it is probably aligned incorrectly. Return it to the retailer as faulty.

By the way - if you want a very good deal on a DVD player then have a look at www.richersounds.com , they had a one for £29.99 which is the cheapest I've ever seen. In fact they seen to offer VG VFM across the board.

Danuk
Visitor

Thanks for the help Rob, For some reason it seems to be behaving itself at the moment ( maybe dodgy discs who knows with sony lol)

And thanks for the link off for a look :wink:

chuckalicious
Visitor

Yeah, I agree with Rob, even if it did read at a very slow speed, the DVD movie should still play. I bought a DVD rive back when they first came out and it still played movies fine.
As for Richer Sounds, they are a pretty decent store. You can get anything from cheap standard stuff, to very good brand name stuff. I personally am aiming for a new AV amp. They have great prices on them