Join now - be part of our community!

sony server problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
Befuddled
Visitor

sony server problems

I have just bought an all singing all dancing SVL2412Z1E.  It is a lovely thing, EXCEPT that Vaio Update does not work.  I rang support and was told that there was a Sony server problem of unspecified timescale.  I am not happy with this as I feel this renders my product not fit for purpose.

Is there any point in creating recovery discs until Vaio Update has updated?

As Vaio update does not work I cannot download the full user manual (so I cannot properly use my product). How do I get the full manual? I tried to update each new download from the new downloads page but these hang part way through.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
nigdyer66
Visitor

You can find the manual here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/svl2412z1eb

which is the same as you get from the VAIO Update.  Zip file with HTML links.

It's not good but  it's usable.

Hope this helps and if so, perhaps you can answer query of mine listed previously, which is that I notice some disk noise that I describe as  a "gurgle".  What is your experience?  Thanks.

Befuddled
Visitor

Hi

Thanks for replying.

I did eventually manage to download the updates I needed, including the link to the manual and Vaio update itself by getting up at around 5am for several days in a row and downloading each one manually.  It would give me a couple of updates before hanging as though the servers reckoned I'd had my share for that day! I have given up with Sony support - they were really insistent that I had to restore my pc.  I can't believe they won't admit it is a server problem. I agree the manual isn't brilliant.

I haven't really used ithe pc that much and can't say I have noticed any disc gurggle but will watch (or listen) out for that and post back if it is a problem.

I do love the machine though.  The sad thing is I will probably uninstall a lot of the software as I am only using this machine for video and image editing and all the other stuff is just sapping processing power.

I have encountered a couple of problems with Photoshop Elements but think this may possibly be something to do with Mcafee as Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements get on better with Norton.  I am waiting a couple of weeks until my Norton subscription is due for renewal on my other pcs and will then get rid of Mcafee and re-assess the Photoshop and Premiere Elements issues then -and if necessary reinstall these.

robindew
Explorer

I have just bought a SVL2412M1EB and have the same problem. Updates just will not complete. After 20 minutes they freeze and never fully download. It has taken me over 8 hours just to do the Vaio updates and that was by getting up at 6am and doing them one by one. The Sony site is useless and inefficient and designed to stop its customers being able to contact them. I find this Support site will not reveal any tips and solutions with a constant error message that the site will not show results, even when logged in. I am considering returning the PC to the seller as it has not yet been able to be used in over a week due to Sony incompetance.

Befuddled
Visitor

It's comforting to know that there are others out there with the same probelms.  I agree the Sony site is designed to send you round in circles but I think this is typical of most technology support sites - they do their best to fend you off so they don't have to deal with the problems. 

I have had my new pc for about 5 weeks now and it is just sitting on my desk not doing an awful lot as I haven't the energy to do battle with Sony or spend hours of my precious time trawling forums to find solutions to problems which shouldn't exist. You buy a product and you expect it to work. The more you pay for a product the better you expect it to work and the greater the level service you expect especially when it is built on reputation. Is anyone at Sony listening?  Does anyone at Sony care?  It's worth noting that Sony support have not contacted me to rate their service.

I've ditched the McAfee now so hopefully I can get my video and image edting software working and try and use the beast.