Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
Joyoyo
Visitor

Any help for a VGN-FS315S notebook? Its drivers dont appear in the page mentioned in the 1st post of this thread

Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Joyoyo,

Sony have stated that Windows Vista drivers and utilities are in development and will be released by the end of March 2007.

You're model MAY be included in that release..?

loathsome
Visitor

If you go to Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings you'll see an option called "Processor power management" -- This is where to select your clock speed :slight_smile:

loathsome+

theblackdevil
Visitor

If you go to Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings you'll see an option called "Processor power management" -- This is where to select your clock speed :slight_smile:

loathsome+

Ok loathsome, I'll check thant this evening ! Thank you

Someone has information about the Sony HDD Protector in Vista ??
Because I don't find how to configure it (no unknown hardware so it's installed..)
Under Windows XP you can configure it in the VAIO Control Center but not under Vista...

Thank you for your help !

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No idea, check back in April when the BIG roll out happens.

theblackdevil
Visitor

loathsome+

OK yes i see the option...but I don't know if the CPU speed is really less than 2.17 when it's idle... with everest the clock speed doesn't change whatever i do .. (on battery or not > nothing change ...)

I'm alone in this case ? your CPU speed goes down when your PC is idle ?? or on battery ? maybe i have forgot something...

Kee-Lo >> thank you I'll wait ... 😛

loathsome
Visitor

loathsome+

OK yes i see the option...but I don't know if the CPU speed is really less than 2.17 when it's idle... with everest the clock speed doesn't change whatever i do .. (on battery or not > nothing change ...)

I'm alone in this case ? your CPU speed goes down when your PC is idle ?? or on battery ? maybe i have forgot something...

Kee-Lo >> thank you I'll wait ... 😛

2That is normal. Your CPU should clock down when the notebook idles. If you watch it closely, it'll clock up IMMEDIATELY when starting a program etc. (if running @ 100%)

:slight_smile:

_geordie_
Visitor

hi. i just installed vista ultimate on my brand new vgn-c1s and it seems to work perfectly. i haven't had to install anything extra, and even the hot keys work perfectly.

HOWEVER, everytime i start up i'm told:

"Wireless Switch Setting Utility has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

although i only had the vaio for about an hour before i installed vista (i bought them together) i'm pretty certain that there were no problems with the switch setting uitility before. anyone else experienced this or can suggest something? many thanks.

EDIT:
sorry, just saw what i need. i'll get my coat.

theblackdevil
Visitor

2That is normal. Your CPU should clock down when the notebook idles. If you watch it closely, it'll clock up IMMEDIATELY when starting a program etc. (if running @ 100%)

:slight_smile:

Thank you loathsome

So the power management of the CPU is different from XP ?! because under XP this wasn't so "immediate"....

Resonate
Visitor

So the power management of the CPU is different from XP ?! because under XP this wasn't so "immediate"....

Hi BlackDevil,

When the MS Team were working on VISTA one of there main aims were "Reducing Power Usage" They made changes to dramatically improve idle power consumption. There goal was to reduce power consumption by powering key components down more frequently and leaving them powered down for longer periods while still maintaining a great user experience.
For example,
While Windows XP did a great job of lowering CPU speed and voltage whenever possible, in Windows Vista they added enhanced capabilities to use power more efficiently on multi-core systems. They created new APIs so that driver and application developers can get notifications about the power scheme being used on the system and then adapt their behavior for the power scheme. Finally, all of the power management configurations parameters can be controlled by the IT department (on a PC-by-PC basis) using Group Policy if they want to tweak the defaults, making corporate deployment of these features easily manageable.

:wink: So it has changed & for the better too. :cool: