Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio E Series AMD EL1E1E/W

profile.country.en_GB.title
kimmycoo36
Visitor

Sony Vaio E Series AMD EL1E1E/W

Hi I'm just looking for a bit of advice regards my laptop.

I purchased it initially from my catalogue in sept 2011.  Within a few months the laptop developed a problem so I rang up my catalogue who then passed me over to SONY helpline and repair centre.  They came and picked it up and I was rather amazed at how quickly it was repaired and sent back to me (The hard drive had gone so they replaced it).  I bought this laptop basically for my 3rd year of my degree and to write up my dissertation on.  I am a 40 year old woman who looks after things.  Anyway a few months went by and in March 2012 my laptop broke down again...  I went back to the initial seller which is my catalogue and they yet again referred me to sony for a Diagnostic and repair.  This time the motherboard had gone..  Good initial service and return from SONY. 

Ok it gets to the 22nd April...  Saturday morning I go to switch on Laptop....NO POWER..  I ring the catalogue, they say ring sony as it will be the 3rd time its broken...  I performed ALL necessary checks to make sure the laptop wasnt working... i.e. Take the battery out and plug in power source, take power source out and leave battery in etc etc all weekend NO POWER ... Rang SONY at 9am Monday morning who want me to perform the checks again...   Very embarrassing the laptop booted to life!!

Week after same thing happened again..  Laptop completely dead again and BEFORE I rang them I did everything I was told to do the previous weekend... Definately dead.. Sooo On the phone again to sony, by this time I am really upset (bear in mind I DO look after my things).  My catalogue want a DIAG + HOLD put on this time..  DPD come and collect my laptop.. I am also writing up my dissertation now I do have it saved on USB pen but didnt have saved the websites I'd been using.. Plus all my pictures are on it too and saved passwords. 

Two days pass and I decided to ring up SONY for an update on my laptop which I desperately needed back!!  I'm told oh Im sorry Miss, there is water damage on it...  I say excuse me WHAT!!!  Regardless of whether anyone believes me  I DID NOT spill water over my laptop nor did anyone in my household...  It is kept on a PC table and is completely free of things like that...  I'm being told the keyboard is damaged.. the CPU, the WLAN card and the Motherboard.. AND its all rusty!!   Firstly, how long does rust take to form???  (I have been told it takes months)    Bearing in mind it was fixed by SONY 7 weeks ago..  Although they have provided me with 5 pictures...  Gut instinct is telling me they arent of my laptop...

I really dont know what to do... My laptop is being returned to me today (11th May) and I have to take to to someone for an Independent Diagnostics...  I'm in turmoil with this..  My children are in their late teens and have laptops of their own.. My partner is MICROSOFT CERTIFIED and even he thinks someone is trying to pull a fast one, as the amount of damage they are saying you would have to turn the laptop over and pour fluids on to it... But ya cant accuse can you!!   Please does anyone have any experience or advice with regards to issues like these.. I am mortified and so upset about it.

Thank you and I'm so sorry its so long

Kim

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

Sorry to hear this very shoddy episode from Sony in terms of customer support and valuing their customers. Its no wonder they posted a record loss recently

Anyway what I would do is google your issue and there will be plenty of people that have had similar experiences to yours and see how they managed to resolve it

You could also play hard ball and return the laptop to Sony put everything in writing about how you dont believe you have caused the damage and send a copy to their head of customer services / chair (should be able to find this somewhere on this web site)

I would not at this stage pay for an independent report since if you think they have sent you back another laptop and not yours the report will be of no use

Be very clear concise and courteous in your letter and dont rant. Send it by recorded delivery and also consult the plenty of consumer websites that may be able to provide a best route to resolve this

Do not however accept any responsibility if you are being honest and are 100% sure that you or someone in your household didnt cause the water ingress issue

It could be that it might have occured whilst being repaired by Sonys repair workshop

Keep us posted how you get on and do not fret

Good luck