Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO F12MOE/B

profile.country.en_GB.title
laptopchap
Visitor

Sony VAIO F12MOE/B

Hello fellow Vaio users :smileyhappy:.

I've just ordered an F12MOE/BJ Vaio, which I collect tomorrow. Though I'm somewhat concerned by further reports of fan noise in both the F12 and F13. I'm beginning to think I've made a serious error in judgement here. Perhaps I should have gone for that MacBook Pro after all?

Given the recent global recall due to over heating, I had hoped this would be sorted. I'm not sure how far ahead they design and build each model and series, but I assume they have no choice but to launch these new models and hope for the best.

Thankfully I ordered via John Lewis who offer a 28 days return and refund policy. This should give me plenty of time to see whether it can be wrangled into a 'keeper'. 😜

First thing I shall do is 'upgrade' to XP SP2. This, and rationalising which services and programs run at startup, and general tweaking here an there, might help to calm things down. I'm assuming there's going to be problems before I get it of course. It will be a pleasant surprise if not.

At present I'm using my decade old PCG-FX101 Vaio, following my rather poor choice of a Samsung laptop overheating and ascending to silicon heaven. It actually copes surprisingly well despite a cracked hinge, knackered usb sockets and considering it only has 512MB RAM, coupled with an Intel Celeron running at 600MHz. It's quiet too!

Back to the present, and I speculate Sony might be making do with old chassis designs and principles while implementing new, and ever hotter running, processors and graphic chipsets. Makes you wonder what kind of quality control system they have in place, or whether they bother giving them a proper soak test at all?

I'd welcome other forum member's thoughts on this. Particularly good and bad experiences with the F12/F13. I shall report my own findings once I've had time to assess things fairly. Finger's crossed I don't have to return this.

Apologies my first post could not more upbeat and jolly. :slight_smile:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Shawsey60
New

Great spec laptop,but oh my days the Fan noise is so bad,i had to take my first laptop back to john lewis,it was so bad this new one i have is better,but its still very noisey,i work in IT,workshop repairs,and this laptop is one of the worst for fan noise,i am so dissapointed,still i have a about 2 weeks to take it back to john lewis,i must admit i am looking around for for for a smilar spec laptop,and i dont mind if i have to pay a bit more