Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio S-series ram voltage??

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Don_chillinger
Visitor

Sony Vaio S-series ram voltage??

Hi!

I have just got my new vaio-s laptop. My question is now what is my RAMs voltage. I´m thinking about icreasing the ram of my laptop from 4gb to 8gb. I visited in crucials website and used the system scanner. It suggested me 1.35voltage stick and 1.5voltage stick. Which one should i take and why?

Btw. I have also tried CPU-Z, Speedfan and other programs, but none of those didn´t show me the Ram voltage.(I checked for example sdp).

PS.Ihave also opened laptops back panel, and checked ram but it has only told me the serial number, nothing else.

If you have any ideas i´m very glad!

(sorry about bad english)

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
binbash

Have a look at memoryx.net they might have a clearer idea of which voltage it requires.

Everest home edition is free and will probably tell you the details (including voltage) of you existing one http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: binbash

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Don and welcome.

We have had this question before and we tried to get an answer from Sony.  Their reply was that it supports both voltages so either module will work OK.  The only difference is that the 1.35v module draws less current if the system supports 1.35v..

Most users would like to match the second module to the existing one so we asked Sony again but have not received any sense at all!

Usually Sony factory fit the Samsung M471B5273CH0-CH9 4GB module but the datasheet for this RAM Module from Samsung says that this module comes in BOTH a 1.5v and a 1.35v version.  It also says that the 1.35v version will work with 1.5v systems.  Have a look at Page 6 of the datasheet here: -

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/347916/SAMSUNG/M471B5273CH0/1824/6/M471B5273CH0.html

The first part of the Part Number is the same for both versions.

I am guessing that if the Part Number ends -CH9 then the module is 1.5v.

C = Standard Voltage

H9 = DDR3 - 1333

M471B5273CH0-CH9

If the Part Number ends -YH9 then the module is 1.35v

Y = Low VDD (1.35v)

H9 = DDR3 - 1333

M471B5273CH0-YH9

You can check your existing Part Number using Everest, Sandra or PC Wizard - or by taking the bottom off!!

If you can find out anything more, I'm sure several users will want to know.

:thinking: