Join now - be part of our community!

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

I just got a CTO SA series Vaio and I find it is heating up very quickly and I worry it may be over heating. I also find the fans seem to be extremely loud which I presume is due to it being very hot.  I did temporarily have a SB Vaio with very similar specification and never had this issues so would it only be specific for the SA?  Has anyone else with a SA Vaio noticed this or is it a known issues? And does anyone know how I can fix it?

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Tags (3)
42 REPLIES 42
profile.country.nl_NL.title
Ray1090
Visitor

Hi.

My Vaio VPCSA arrived yesterday and I experience the same problem. When I'm just browsing through the internet the temperature of the cpu cores is around 55-60 C. When I run demanding programs which take up 60% of the cpu, the temperature rises to 95 C and the fan will get extremely loud. I think the hinge of the screen blocks the back vent, because when I close the screen I feel a lot more air coming out the backside.

I'm also interested if this is a known issue and whether this can be fixed.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There are relatively few VPCSA-Series Vaios out there yet and to date this is the first I have heard of this on these forums..

If there is a problem it is important you make sure Sony are aware of it by registering your concerns with Vaio Support giving details and temperatures if possible.

:thinking:

stefflod
Visitor

My SA arrived yesterday and I was also struck by hearing the fan mainly on boot-up, which I wasn't used to on my old Dell D630. The SA has an i7 chip so that may be a bit much. The hinge does impede the main vent at the back. I've been working on it all day connected to a monitor with the screen partly closed over so the hinge is not such a blocker and the fan has barely kicked in at all.

Just found this in the manual:

It is recommended that you do not use your computer with the LCD screen lid

fully open for an extended period of time. If you do so, the temperature of the

bottom of the unit may rise.

Looks like it is a design fault then but they've put it in the manual so maybe we're supposed to be fore-warned. What is the point of a laptop if you can't use it as a laptop to the extent of its battery life?

Message was edited by: stefflod

Message was edited by: stefflod

Ray1090
Visitor

Yes I just found it too in the manual. I contacted Sony by Vaio Support so now I just wait for their reply and I hope they can do something about it. If not I guess I have to return the laptop, because I don't have everywhere I work an extra screen at my disposal. I'll edit my message when I get a response of Sony.

ripat86
Visitor

Well I've been regularly using it with an external display also but that doesn't stop it heating up for me.

I read that message in the manual and think its bit of a joke to think customer won't do that

I reported this issue to a person inside Sony and he said positing it on here would raise it to Sony's attention as there are people appartently from Sony to take feedback from these forums.

I wish I could get a refund as Ray1090 suggested but Sony don't take returns on customised laptops unless their faulty and Sony see this are normal from what I gather.

Someone earlier mentioned it was maybe due to the i7 but i had previously an SB i7 Vaio and it wasn't as bad as this.

I wouldn't be suprised if there is a recall for this laptop some time soon though as I can't believe it is normal for a laptop to be doing this. The Apple Macbook Airs don't produce this much heat and they are smaller.

ripat86
Visitor

Also, is anyone experiencing anywhere near the 7 hour battery (or 14 with the sheet battery)?

Because I am getting nowhere near it. Think i'm gonna try escalate this because this is not functioning as it shoud in my opionion.

Phil_UK
Visitor

HI all,

I received my Vaio VPCSA custom spec last week and I'm not happy at all. I have an Intel i7, 8gigs RAM, 128gig SSD, 1gig AMD Graphics.

I am also experiencing extremely loud fan noise when using the machine for the most basic of things like using Visio or Word. When I use it for gaming (5 year old games) the fan is so loud and high pitch that it simply isn't bearable to play it for long - if I do play for 30mins or so then the games often crash and return to desktop.

The temperature generated on the underside of the laptop and on the screen hinge is worryingly high. When I connect it to an external monitor, turn off the laptop display and close the lid the fan noise reduces slightly but is still outrageous and even more worryingly the temperature then generated when it is closed from the keyboard and appears to transfer to the laptop screen.

I think there must be a design flaw with the machine which would be forgivable for a machine worth £300 but this one is £1500 and it took me a long while to save and select the right spec laptop for my needs. So I find the issues completely unacceptable for a top end laptop.

I have begun communicating with Sony VAIO-Link support team on this matter and i will keep you posted.

I do hope as a loyal Sony consumer that they can resolve this quickly or refund/replace/recall the machine as after the Playstation 3 fiascos of late including the reduction of functionality without prior warning and some shocking Sony Walkman software which I was forced to use for years ruining an otherwise great product - I might be inclined to jump on board the Microsoft and Samsung ships for good.

Phil

Message was edited by: Phil_UK

Message was edited by: Phil_UK

ripat86
Visitor

What you've explained is exactly the same for me.  I also find the switching between graphics cards strange as it flickers several time between different modes before settling.  I definitely think it is a design flaw and I won't be surprised to see a recall soon. I hope people actually call Vaio Support about this so it is brought to their attention and they have a chance to fix the issue because apart from this one fault I can't find much to complain about.

Ray1090
Visitor

Hi

So Sony Vaio Support emailed me. They want to pick my Vaio up for investigation which will take about 5 workdays. They also say I have to remove my battery, which I am a bit scared to do since I'm not that handy and I am affraid to break the warranty or something.

I guess I have no other choice then just send it back for repair. Luckily in the Netherlands we have a standard warranty of 2 years. So all the costs should be for Sony. Still I am a bit disappointed that such an expensive laptop doesn't work straight away and now I won't have a laptop for a week or more...