Join now - be part of our community!

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

I just got a CTO SA series Vaio and I find it is heating up very quickly and I worry it may be over heating. I also find the fans seem to be extremely loud which I presume is due to it being very hot.  I did temporarily have a SB Vaio with very similar specification and never had this issues so would it only be specific for the SA?  Has anyone else with a SA Vaio noticed this or is it a known issues? And does anyone know how I can fix it?

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Tags (3)
42 REPLIES 42
ripat86
Visitor

Really, I may consider getting mother one now.

No, the guide they gave me were changes I needed to make in the system preferences but what you are taking about is in the manual.

I did honestly get fed up with that machine as it just became unbearable at times to use without noticing the fans.

But as you said, if they claimed to have fixed it, I may get one as that was my only big concern with the machine. Apart from that, it was great.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Ray1090
Visitor

Yes, stefflod mentioned it in an earlier post but I will quote the User Guide again from page 14: "It is recommended that you do not use your computer with the LCD screen lid fully open for an extended period of time. If you do so, the temperature of the bottom of the unit may rise." The customer service also said to me, that I can't open the lid more than 90 degrees or otherwise the air vent gets blocked too much...

Although my laptop is back from the reparation shop, it still gets way too hot and too loud. However, my vaio does not crash anymore, but the processor just throttles now. If they have a fix that will reduce the temperature and fan noise then I really want to try that one out too.

In the end I just have to live with it since I need a laptop now and I don't have time to send it again to the repair shop. My advice is just like ripat86 to avoid the vaio SA. Perhaps go for a macbook pro if you don't need windows and don't need the heavy graphics stuff? My friend has a macbook pro and it has a very good temperature control.

User136
New

Thank you for replies. I personally do not believe that Sony had made any subtle hardware changes, as this would mean changing production line. I think it was the sales person trying it on to get a sale.

There is a distinct lack of new posts on this and other forums about heat/fan issues, so I am hoping that something has improved.

As stated earlier, my CTO SA is on order and should arrive with 2/3 weeks. I will let you guys know how it behaves when it arrives.

ripat86
Visitor

I agree with Ray here.

I decided to go with a MacBook after the issues I had with my Vaio and it's been perfect. Ive have no issues and transition to Mac has been exteremely easier than I thought it would be

I highly doubt Sony have made design changes for reasons you've said.

ndigits
Visitor

I have read somewhere that they released a bios upgrade for Vaios which takes care of the loud fan. Anyone here have any information on that? This seems to be common across some laptop manufacturers. I had an HP before and they adviced to upgrade the bios to fix the loud fan issue as well, which to a great extent did fix the noise.

This has been mentioned on Youtube reviews of this laptop as well.

ripat86
Visitor

@User136, you may want to hold on with keeping that Vaio you just ordered.

A refresh in due shortly:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/sony-vaio-s-line-gets-mild-refresh-with-second-gen-core-cpus/

mkhan_4
New

it is interesting that they are bringing new versions so quickly.

Message was edited by: mkhan_4

Message was edited by: mkhan_4

User136
New

Hi repat86,

Thank you for thr link for updated SA. Unfortunately, for now, I am committed to my customised SA, as I have passed the cancellation period.

profile.country.de_CH.title
deantreml
Visitor

Fan noise!!?! Unreal, sometimes I hear it from 2 rooms away while it's supposedly doing nothing! 

I bought a VPCSA in August, while travelling in the USA, as it was a cheaper option than buying one in Switzerland where I live. I had a Vaio VGN-SR19VN previously and at the 3 year mark it was grinding a bit and replacement was due, but it had been a great machine.

I need a grunty yet portable laptop for my work and my replacement was to be another Sony, or a Samsung Series 9 i7, which I'd read good reports on but in the short time I had to shop I couldn't find a Series 9 i7 but I did find a Sony store and left with the i7 SA.

All looked like a good proposition at the time, then the noise began, off and on, sometimes under load, sometimes inexplicably, but always like a jet preparing for take off.

I am a photographer and travel with the laptop, working in airports, offices, press rooms, media events etc, and it's such an embarrasing machine as it attracts the ridicule of many around me. Deservedly too. Every time the jet tubines wind up I cringe. What make matters worse is I am usually surrounded by Mac users who are quick to play the "mine is bigger than yours" game.

I have had a play with the Processor power management, turning down the maximum processor state to 85%, which does keep the noise down but debilitates performance so it kind of defeats the purpose of owning a performance machine, and I need it to work fast.

It's interesting to read some of the comments on this thread, that a suggestion would be made not to use the screen past 90 degrees is bizarre. Who actually uses a screen at 90 degrees or less, no one I've ever worked with, and interestingly the screen is another weak point of this computer, viewing angles are dubious for photo editing.

Sure seems like a design flaw to me, and as others have stated. I have been on the road pretty much non-stop since buying it but am now at home and shall be wandering into the local Sony store to have a word. Sounds to me like they are quick to divert blame, but that tends to be modus operandi for the entire computer world in my experience so we will see if this is any different. Not holding my breath...

profile.country.de_DE.title
koseufe
Visitor

Dear all,

I got mine yesterday delivered to Germany.

Right from the very start the problem of the fan noise was quite obvious to me. Only in Stamina mode the noise is barely acceptable, but only while writing this text here for example.

I have to admit that, there are 2 different noises, one which arises from the airflow, which is quite deep and not annoying, but the overlaying second one is quite high and sound like a turbine or a jet nozzle which is varying. and this hissing is really filling a large room. everyone was looking at my desk when I rerun the assessment of the "Windows Experience Index".

2 Years ago i sent back an ordered F-Serie laptop due to this reason and got an old s serie i5 instead which was good. now i ordered another i7, this time s and i am experiencing the same problem.

the fact that the screen is partly covering the air exit at the back when opened is such a mistake, that actually needs no further comment. The reference in the manual says it all.

"Please don't use this car for a longer journeys as it could overheat!" WOULD YOU EVER READ THAT?

And I hardly can imagine how sony can fix this without exchanging this built-in dragon.

And another point is the screen itself. you can nearly bend it like a chewing gum. I have the carbon one and that seems very fragile!

ONE EASY QUESTION AROUSES and I mean that seriously:

DOES SONY ACTUALLY TEST AND COMPARE THEIR LAPTOPS BEFORE STARTING MASS PRODUCTION?

This all is inconcievable and inacceptable.

Frankly spoken: Right back to sony with this "piece of great craftsmanship"!