Join now - be part of our community!

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

I just got a CTO SA series Vaio and I find it is heating up very quickly and I worry it may be over heating. I also find the fans seem to be extremely loud which I presume is due to it being very hot.  I did temporarily have a SB Vaio with very similar specification and never had this issues so would it only be specific for the SA?  Has anyone else with a SA Vaio noticed this or is it a known issues? And does anyone know how I can fix it?

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Tags (3)
42 REPLIES 42
ripat86
Visitor

My Vaio is a custom spec. model/CTO but I got mine from the Sony Online store.  They don't take returns on CTO Vaios but I pretty much gave them no option as I was fed up with them telling me how to use my Vaio and there are advertised images contracting what they were saying. 

Sadly Sony Stores are third party/separate from Sony and they're basically resellers. If you can't get them to return it, try seeing if Sony would reimburse for this laptop by speaking to their escalations dept.

That is how my refund was authorised after several weeks.

Message was edited by: ripat86

ripat86
Visitor

If I was you, don't waste your time with this machine unless your willing the withstand the constant noise of the fans when you start doing basic things like browsing the Internet. 

After speaking to people internally from Sony, they don't think this is an issue as they expect it for such high powered machines. They believe I am just creating a problem.  

The recommended settings are useless in my opinion but strangely, they haven't released yet for everyone to give their comments. The settings from my experience, impact performance yet the machine is nearly as loud as before.

I  don't think now, the laptop overheats as all of us mention and I think Sony has meant it to get as warm as it does which I feel is stupid and obvious a design flaw which they are too embarassed to admit.  

I had the SB before this SA (this was before they introduced the SA)and every part if the spec is the same but the screen resolution.  I found it was a lot quieter except for when doing some demanding task so in my opinion, the screen is doing something or it's specific to the SA series Vaios.  

Apparently, the Vaio Z series is worse than the S series and fan noise is actually mentioned in nearly all review and usually reviewers don't tend to pick up on things like this which is concerning.

I was going to to get this Vaio instead but I don't want a repeat of S series.

I am now returning my SA as I can't stand it any longer.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Ray1090
Visitor

Hi sazzle78,

If yours was functioning fine the first two weeks and now it doesn't, then perhaps the fan got full with dust or something?

My vaio is now at the sony repair shop and they called me to say that they are going to change the motherboard and ventilator. I hope this will solve the problem. They have to order the components so I have to wait another week or more.

Ray1090

profile.country.es_ES.title
hashito@cd69
Visitor

Exactly the same. I got my new VAUIO S series on monday VPCSB and im returning it today, just can't afford this extream over heat any longer... it even heats your fingers while tiyping!

this is my lat action with this VAIO

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Ray1090
Visitor

My vaio SA is back from repair and it still has the same high temperatures, but I guess 60 degrees in idle is normal voor Sandy Bridge processors. A good thing since the repair is that my vaio does not crash anymore if I play a game and it reaches a steady temperature of 96 degrees Celsius (you do feel the keys on the right side of the laptop get hot).

The fan is still very loud when the system is stressed. I guess I just have to buy some good closed headphones..

User136
New

Hi Guys,

I am waiting for my CTO SA to arrive soon but I am a bit worried about these overheating and fan noise issues. Did yoiu get any positive action from Sony regarding these?

I can not talk about other countries, but people who bought this in UK can go on a small claims track if the product is not fit for purpose. "Customisation" clause in Sony's terms and conditions is a "shame" clause as by adding extra RAM or asking for a different operating system is very unlikely to be classed as unique product which was produced for you personally. Engraving may be a bit difficult to prove though.

Phil, same as above applies to the shop where you bought the SA from, I would suggest that if you are still having problems, think seriously about the above.

ripat86
Visitor

No, Sony did nothing positive.

They kept claiming its normal due to the high powered processors in their laptops which does make sense but is stupid that they expect customers to be happy with it. I would have thought they could found at better method to cool the laptop down and ventilate heat produced. I

You are right about the customization, you can't return so if the fan noise is going to bother you, keep well away. I managed to get a refund on my customised Vaio eventually but it wasn't easy.

But you said you want to add Ram, and in Sony's terms, you can add RAM later to a vaio without voiding the warranty.

So you could buy the stock Vaio and add ram later after testing it an seeing how you feel.

User136
New

Thank you for replying ripat86.

Unfortunately my SA is already on order and I have passed the point on cancellation, so I have to wait and see if, when it arrives, my machine has same issues as discussed in this thread.

I was a bit lazy this time and didn’t do enough research before ordering as I have always had Vaio laptops and never had any issues (apart from the last one). If my machine has similar issues to what you have had, it will cost me time and effort and may be  court fees to get my money back.

I have read about some kind of guide that Sony were publishing regarding this issue, have you seen it? I have tried searching for it with no success.

ripat86
Visitor

In all honesty, if you made a case with Sony directly and thats if you find it's making too much noise, you could probably get them to return the item for you as I doubt they will be completely unreasonable and bet you'll find something else on your Vaio which won't be 100% exactly as it should. Don't think you will need the courts as thal is alway a measure of last resort.

I have got a copy of this guide from Sony. I can forward it to you if you wish but I wouldn't bother found it did nothing and it affects performance.

User136
New

My understanding is that they have made some subtle changes to the machine since all the fuss (nid you, I was told this by a Sony rep so it could be cods wallop).

I see that there are no more new posts about the fan/heating issue on any of the forums so either people have learnt to live with it, or the problem has been rectified.

Is it true that the so called guide says that users shouldn’t keep the lid open for prolonged times?

BTW, from your post, it appears you are thoroughly cheesed off with the Vaio SA.

I mentioned court because with my last laptop, I was getting no joy with their Egypt call centre, but once summons were issues, it was a different story. Consumers shouldnt be pushed from pillar to post if the product has a fault.