Join now - be part of our community!

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

New S Series Vaios Overheating?

I just got a CTO SA series Vaio and I find it is heating up very quickly and I worry it may be over heating. I also find the fans seem to be extremely loud which I presume is due to it being very hot.  I did temporarily have a SB Vaio with very similar specification and never had this issues so would it only be specific for the SA?  Has anyone else with a SA Vaio noticed this or is it a known issues? And does anyone know how I can fix it?

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Message was edited by: ripatel86

Tags (3)
42 REPLIES 42
Phil_UK
Visitor

I have just got the same response from Sony Vaio Support and they want to collect mine.

I actually have to go away for a couple of weeks so wont be able to do this immediately but please keep me posted on how they handle your issues. Fingers crossed its merely a manufacturing issue or mistake and not simply that the machines have been over spec'd and are running too hot.

Phil_UK
Visitor

Its normal behaviour for the laptop to sound like a vacum cleaner on your desk? incredible. Well if that is the verdict we all get given then I guess my faith has finally run out in this once fantastic brand. Such a shame.

Message was edited by: Phil_UK

Message was edited by: Phil_UK

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Ray1090
Visitor

The support in the Netherlands said that I should just send it to them and never said anything that this is normal behaviour. One of the conditions for sending it for repair was that if there is no problem with it I have to pay the transport costs and diagnostics which is €80. I would have appreciated it if the support notified me that this is 'normal' behaviour.

This means that I paid almost €1500 to get a vacuum cleaner laptop which gets too hot to play games and pay an extra 80 bucks to verify that my laptop is indeed a hot vacuum cleaner :slight_frown:

-----

My Sony contact person wrote per mail that UPS should pick it up today, but I'm still waiting and they haven't shown up yet. So this time I called Sony instead of emaling and he said that it is possible that it will arrive Monday instead of today..

I also asked about the cpu temperature and the hinge and he said that 95 C is a normal working temperature and that it's better not to open the screen more than 90 degrees. So Sony indeed regard this as normal behaviour. I still let them check my Vaio SA because I want to be sure that this (high temperature, loud fan, system crash) is the product Sony delivers and that not something malfunctions only in my Vaio.

Message was edited by: Ray1090

ripat86
Visitor

Message was edited by: ripat86

ripat86
Visitor

I talked to Vaio-link earlier and from what i gather, this is apparently normal behavior for this laptop which is not what I wanted to hear.

I hope Sony can sort this out as I am considering getting rid of it as it is becoming unbearable.

Has anyone else also noticed that the loose screen/hinge? I find when you pick up the laptop, the screen falls down about 20 degrees

ripat86
Visitor

Just thought I'll let you guys know that Sony are releasing a short guide with suggested setting changes to change/lower the fan noise of the SA/SB series.

I got a chance to test it today, and in my opinion, I see no real change at all and I think it actually affects performance even though they claim it doesn't.

Apparently it will be available on this forum somwhere in the next few days so I hope some others can give updates and feedback on whether you've noticed any changes in fan noise or if you've noticed any drops in performance.

profile.country.nl_BE.title
jb1060
Visitor

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues of overheating and fan noise you encountered with the SA. I have been looking for a new laptop for a while now and I was actually just about to order my SA when I read your thread. Now, I'm not so sure though - what is the point of spending 1600 Euro for a high-end machine if it overheats and if the only advice is to not open the lid too much (more than 90 degrees) or eventually change the settings if it lowers the performance?

If I'm going to spend that much money then I really want a reliable stable and good machine, which I always found Vaio to be (I'm a loyal Vaio customer for many years), but now I'm just not sure - who wants noisy fans, overheating, and lids that can't be opened more than 90 degrees?

I just want to hear if the issue have been solved for you guys and if Sony setting recommendations have helped with the problem

Thanks for letting me know

Message was edited by: jb1060

Message was edited by: jb1060

Phil_UK
Visitor

Hi all,

I spoke to SONY yesterday (Sony Viao Link) on the phone.

I wanted an update on their thoughts before I send off my machine for them to checkout. I asked them if by now there were enough complaints for it to be getting to a recall stage and explained the screen hinge covering the (what i think is) the graphics card exhaust. They said that they cant simply consider it a design fault with (for example) 50 complaints and that they would need to examine each machine.

So I'll be sending mine off at the end of next week.

I have to say though that in the cooler weather that we have had recently the fan activity and thus noise hasnt been quite as extreme as it was when i first got the machine, but its still very poor.

I already played around with the settings using one of the Sony Viao preinstalled apps and put the machine into 'Silent' mode. It doesnt seem tot have made a world of difference.

To be clear about what this problem is though - this fan noise only happens when running graphic intensive tasks like running simple (2004) 3d games, multi-monitor (external and notebook screen) or firing up on occasion youtube on a web browser etc. Therefore I am personally convinved its to do with firstly the graphics card and its installation/positioning in the system.

From what i understand this seems to be affecting the custom spec SA's more than the off the shelf specs. The SB,s come with a AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6470M 512MB installed and i wonder if this downgrade is why they arent needing to use the fan so intensively?just my thoughts anyhow.

Whats so frustrating is the machine performs and looks fantastic if it werent for this unbearable fan noise.

I'll keep you posted with updates.

Phil

Phil_UK
Visitor

I would have returned mine but because it was ordered from a Sony Store and is a custom spec they wont take it back. Is yours custom spec?

sazzle78
Visitor

This is also the case for me, I've only had the Vaio S a month, having picked it up at Singapore Airport as an emergency because my other laptop blew up while I was away.

In the first week or two, this was not too noticeable, However, now within 10 minutes of me starting up the laptop it heats to a very high temperature and the fan is extremely loud, too loud to be acceptable as 'normal'. I will also try contacting Sony to see if they will collect mine to look at. I'm worried about the health of the laptop with the overheating, especially since it is heating up at the most simplest of tasks. It feels like a design fault since the hinge of the screen is actually blocking the vent considerably and I do not want to accept that I need to have the screen partially open in order to cool it, surely that can't be fair when the Vaio isn't exactly a cheap laptop. I'm interested to see what Sony propose/suggest after they have collected your Vaio's to look at.