Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio SVF13N2C5E flickering screen

Saadat93
Explorer

Sony Vaio SVF13N2C5E flickering screen

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio SVF13N2C5E which automatically uptaded to windows 10 a while ago. after a few months, i noticed a flickering issue on my monitor. I have realised that by switching off the option ''change brightness automatically when lighting changes'' in Display setting, when I move the laptop LCD, at some points the monitor starts to flicker and when I move the LCD a little bit more, it stops. It only happends when I switch off that option.
At this point I dont know if this is a hardware or software issue since it happens by physically moving the laptop LCD and also stops by switching on the automatic brightness change. 

Would appreciate if someone could help me identify the problem here. 

Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
av-115
Explorer

This might seem like a daft question but what type of flickering is it? Is it just the backlight flickering or do you lose parts or all of the picture on the display? If it's the former I would replace the inverter. It is strange that it only happens when auto-brightness is disabled, though.

Things to try first:

Disable Intel Power Saving Technology - (this has been known to cause flickering on some laptops)

Update your graphics drivers

Regards

Andrew

profile.country.NL.title
evefick
Explorer

I do have the same problem (model SVF13N1X2ES). It started right after the monthly windows update from november. So I think it will be a software problem.

The system is completely unusable most of the time. The screen is going black and sometimes it not only will do some flickering but the screen will stay black till I push my powerbutton again.

I did reinstall drivers several times. That didn't help.

Saadat93
Explorer

Hi Andrew, 

thanks for your responce

Yes its the backlight flickering, and im still able to see the screen, but just annoyingly flickering. the screen doesnt turn black entirly. 
I tried the Intel power saving technology, but it didnt work. 

And my graphic driver are uptodate. 

Saadat93
Explorer

Hi, 

Do you also see this issue when you turn off the '' change brightness automatically when lighting change'' option ? 

profile.country.NL.title
evefick
Explorer

for me the problem seems to be solved after disabling every power options at the Intel HD Graphic control panel.

Fingers crossed.

av-115
Explorer

It does sound like a software problem, in particular a conflict between the drivers and Windows 10. OEMs usually slightly customise drivers to suit their products so drivers provided by Sony probably won't exactly match those from the Intel website. E.g on my Lenovo laptop if I use the latest drivers from Intel I cannot change the screen brightness at all - it is stuck at full brightness and I'm forced to use older drivers from Lenovo's site. As these drivers were made for Windows 8.1 there's no guarantee they'd work as intended on Windows 10. 

Therefore ensure to try drivers both from Sony & Intel and disable Intel Power Saving Technology.

Andrew

profile.country.NL.title
evefick
Explorer

Some good news: problem completely solved after Windows 10 Creator update!