Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio turn on problem(pcg-8z1m)

profile.country.el_GR.title
mpizos
Visitor

sony vaio turn on problem(pcg-8z1m)

Hi,
This is the first time I've written on a forum, to be honest I was impressed at how helpful everyone seemed and the comments have me wondering.....how the hell do I fix my Sony vaio pcg-8z1m laptop computer....here's the story

Went to turn on the pc the other eve, for some reason it didn't start! much of a surprise when it sounded like it was starting up, the SONY branded lights come on under the monitor, the battery/charge light is lit as its plugged into the mains, so it has power...the 'on' light appears, the wireless light is on,

on the frame of the laptop there are 4 symbols with small lights, the first being on/off (which is lit) second being a similar looking battery (flashing) there is a small cylinder type shape, this one is always lit in normal working order, however not now! why not now I dont know, maybe someone does!!? anyway this one, comes on once when you press the on/off button. then nothing...no lights!

the screen is blank, as if its turned off, there is a loud 3 short beeps reminds me of amstrads and then again still nothing.
it doesn't start.

ive tried the following that any normal typically not great human would do....but still nothing!

taking out the battery whilst off to remove all memory of last state
turning off leaving it with everything disconnected overnight, really cooled down, plugged back in next day, into the mains, battery back in and nothing same thing happends.
vga to tv to see if it was just the monitor that wasnt working, as it sounds like the fan is going and its started up.

any ideas would be most appreciated, sorry for the waffle in between but its really the first ive got to vent my frustration.

Thank you all in advance if you can help with this.( i saw there is a guy 1 year ago that had the same problem but he didnt answered what happened with his laptop)

Dimitris

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dimitris and welcome to the forum,

Firstly can you please try and identify the correct model number. PCG-8z1m is possibly the chassis number – have a look on the screen surround for something like VGN-ARxxx.

Beep codes can be difficult to analyze as they vary between different BIOS types but once the correct model is known then hopefully someone will know which BIOS your model has.

This could be, amongst other things, either a graphics card problem or a memory problem. If you feel capable then initially try reseating or replacing the memory chips.

If the problem is related to the graphics chip then the remedy is less straight forward and could require, at worst, a motherboard replacement.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
RikkiJarnot
Visitor

Hi, was your problem ever resolved because I have a similar one. The 3 beeps happen approximately 5 seconds after I turn the laptop on and the first is slightly longer than the last 2. Any help would be great?:) and the rest is the same; sony light comes on, fan is working, screen doesn't come on at all.