Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGC-V2S - PCV-E11M

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
VaioEdgey
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGC-V2S - PCV-E11M

Hi There,

One of my Directors brought His Sony Vaio PCV-E11M into me today, with the issue of it not starting up, he started to describe what happened, and immediatley i realised he had the BSOD,

Here is what happens, when we turn on the Machine, the power light comes on, the Fans kick in, HDD light stays off, As does the screen, and nothing happens at all,

Im guessing that it is a Dead HDD, has anyone got any other Ideas? i have seen the short Q&A on here regarding replacing the HDD on one of these,

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, it could be a few things as the Vaio does not appear to POST.  Do you hear any beeps or are there any flashes on the screen?

First try removing and reseating the RAM modules - a poor contact is a common cause of being unable to POST.

It could be the HDD but it should still POST.  Other possibilities are a power rail failure - the 12v rail is working and driving the fans but the 5V rail powering the HDD and CPU may be faulty - or a motherboard failure.

It may be worth checking that the HDD is receiving power.  If not a replacement PSU may be available from Sony Support.  A Motherboard failure means a write off.

Sorry for the vague diagnosis - try reseating the RAM first.  If you need the User Guide, you can download it here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Desktops/V2/V2_H_EN.pdf

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, it could be a few things as the Vaio does not appear to POST.  Do you hear any beeps or are there any flashes on the screen?

First try removing and reseating the RAM modules - a poor contact is a common cause of being unable to POST.

It could be the HDD but it should still POST.  Other possibilities are a power rail failure - the 12v rail is working and driving the fans but the 5V rail powering the HDD and CPU may be faulty - or a motherboard failure.

It may be worth checking that the HDD is receiving power.  If not a replacement PSU may be available from Sony Support.  A Motherboard failure means a write off.

Sorry for the vague diagnosis - try reseating the RAM first.  If you need the User Guide, you can download it here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Desktops/V2/V2_H_EN.pdf

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
VaioEdgey
Visitor

Hi There Blencogo,

Thank you very much for your reply and possible solutions,

I would like to say that, Removing and re-seating the Ram Moduels has Cured the problem,

Thank you very much for your help