Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FW11ZU CD ROM / Blu Ray Problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mizzeeboy
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FW11ZU CD ROM / Blu Ray Problem

Hi all

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW11ZU which comes with a Blu Ray Drive.I am running Windows Seven Ultimate 32 Bit Version although it usually runs Windows Vista Ultimate.

My problem is that my Blu Ray drive cannot load any type normal CD / DVD let alone run Blu Ray disks.I cannot even load any BOOTABLE CD'S from the BIOS.

I have done some research on my Blu Ray Drive and have found out that my model number of my Drive is UJ-220.I have also seen what driver was installed on my PC and it was a MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ-220S USB Device.There are some differences that I noticed first of all this driver which was automatically installed was UJ-220S not UJ - 220 like it said on the Drive.Second thing I noticed was that it said USB Device does this mean that the Driver is for the USB?

Can someone please help me with this problem as it has gone on for some time now and would like to know how to fix it?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Mizzeeboy

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mizzeeboy,

The Support site suggests that the firmware for your model should be UJ 220B and there is a Vista firmware update for this (1.04080723).

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FW11ZU/downloads/EP0000174140_4091

You may need to use Vista compatible mode to install this – right click the install application and select Properties > Compatibility Tab.

No guarantee that this will solve the problem but worth a try.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mizzeeboy
Visitor

Hi rich912 I have a dual booted sony vaio fw11zu computer the firmware does not work for vista nor seven is there any thing else that I can do ?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mizzeeboy,

I’m puzzled as to why the firmware update will not install but assume this has something to do with the dual boot configuration.

A Google will confirm that you are not alone with the drive not working and being recognised as a 220S USB Device after updating to Win 7 but I have found no confirmed fix for this.

The only suggestion I can make for a quick fix is to return the machine to factory settings – something that you are no doubt reluctant to do. Maybe someone else will have further suggestions...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat