Join now - be part of our community!

Please help

profile.country.en_IE.title
micdowli3
New

Please help

Firstly I'd like to apologize as this has probably been posted before but I still cannot find a solution. I have a  sony vaio vgn-nr38e with Windows vista home premium 64 bit. My fn mute and volume work (but no on screen graphic) and fn brightness doesn't work. I've downloaded every driver possible but cannot find a solution. Can anyone help please?? P.S. I'm an on the couch laptop user and not a technician so go easy on me

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
gugabackhand
Visitor

Try to check the drivers here.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR38E_S/updates

If all else fail, is a system recovery an option for you? https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

micdowli3
New

Cheers for the reply gugabackhand, I've been on that driver page but I'm unsure which to download but if I check my drivers in device manager I'm told they are all up to date. On system recovery, if it includes discs etc then it's a no.:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi micdowli3,

This model would appear to have been released with the Vista Home Premium 32Bit OS as there are no original 64Bit drivers/utilities listed on the support page. Also there are no 64Bit updated utilities that control the Fn keys available for this model.

Have you installed your own OS?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
micdowli3
New

Hi rich912, I "inherited" the laptop and yes it seems the 64 bit was installed :smileyblush: wher do I go from here?? would a system restore do the trick? would I lose my files etc. by doing this??

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi micdowli3,

Yes, a system recovery will do the trick as this will install the 32Bit version of the OS including all sony drivers and utilities. you will however lose all personal data and third party applications. Personal data can be restored after recovery assuming you have a backup but any third party applications will have to be reinstalled.

If the recovery partion is still intact you can run the recovery process by tapping F10 at boot - this should open the Vaio Recovery Utility. Otherwise you will need the recovery disks assuming that they were created and passed on to you.

To check whether there is a recovery partition open Control  Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management -expand Storage and click Disk Management. For Disk 0 there should be a EISA partition without drive letter (this is the hidden recovery partition) plus the usual C drive.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat