Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-SR19XN screen problem - help needed

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dezrobi
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-SR19XN screen problem - help needed

Hi guys,

I bought a vaio approx. 3 years ago and recently I am  having this problem (see the pics) - there are vertical lines on half  the screen and it's impossible to see anything properly. It works just  fine with an external monitor. Do you think it is something with the  screen and it needs replacing (was looking online for replacement  screens and I could not find any) or is it a connection problem? Can  anyone tell me what I can do next?

Thanks a lot!

Dan

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DanDSC_0379.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dan,

as the problem does not appear on your external monitor then cause is more likely the screen or screen connections..

Unfortunately a new screen may cost more than replacing your Vaio but it may be worth contacting one of Sony's authorised repairers & see if they'll quote repair prices.

Tto find contact details for Sony Vaio support..

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab to locate the nearest location.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dan,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

Try connecting your Vaio to an external monitor, do you still have the same problem.?

Do you get the same problem when in safe mode.?

To enter safe mode restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

Do you get the same problem in the BIOS.?

To enter the BIOS restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F2 key repeatedly..

To exit the BIOS press F9 to reset the BIOS to default and press F10 to save and exit..

dezrobi
Visitor

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have the problem when I use an external display.

But the problem persists in both safe mode and BIOS.

Dan

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dan,

as the problem does not appear on your external monitor then cause is more likely the screen or screen connections..

Unfortunately a new screen may cost more than replacing your Vaio but it may be worth contacting one of Sony's authorised repairers & see if they'll quote repair prices.

Tto find contact details for Sony Vaio support..

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab to locate the nearest location.

mads64738
Visitor

Hi Dan,

Whilst it's no consolation, yesterday evening, exactly the same problem occurred on my Sony Vaio VGN-SR19XN (purchased November 2008) :slight_frown:

A few weeks before, the left side of the screen started to go dim, but now, I too am left with a striped left screen.

I have heard that it may be a loose inverter, and as the laptop is out of warranty, I think I'll take it apart and see whether it makes a difference.  As you've observed, the display is pretty unusable.

I'll report back if it's made a difference (good or bad).

profile.country.NL.title
rtt007

It seems to be a hardware problem (in this case you need to contact Sony technical support) however in any case you may try to remove and install the display driver again (after removing the display driver, MS Windows would automatically search for and install a new display driver again - it helped me once when I experienced display flickering on the HDMI output using the blu ray player).

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Gedemo
Visitor

Hi ,
In may 2007, I bought my vaio VGN-AR31M and approx 8 month ago, couple of very thin vertical stripes of different color became visible on the screen. This concern was getting worse and worse while time was spending
After a lot of visits on forums, some of them recommended updating/replacing the BIOS and some others exotic actions, I decided to drop for 48h, my lap top to a Sony repair centre where I was told that this occurrence could happen on any brand of lap top after a certain period of use. It is caused by overheating of the CPU due to the permanent ingestion of dust and then their progressive deposit within the ventilation ducts located onto the CPU/GPU causing a poor cooling damaging the GPU. My laptop is built with a NVIDIA GeForce Go7600 GPU well known to be very sensitive.
I do a lot of video editing which creates CPU/GPU overloadings and then the heat ramp-up. This overheating is a major concern as it is nearly impossible to maintain a proper cleanning without dismantling the laptop
Defintely, it is a hardware problem and we are far away from hi-tech!.....
profile.country.GB.title
jotrett70
New

My Sony Vaio laptop SVD1122C5E, the sceen has gone very bright in the bottom left corner and dark above on the left of the screen.  Could it be a backlight problem?  Can I get parts and repair?

Many thanks

John