Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VPCF23S1E camera not working after upgrading to Windows 8

profile.country.en_GB.title
bigbwoy
Visitor

Sony Vaio VPCF23S1E camera not working after upgrading to Windows 8

Hi guys!

I have upgraded my Vaio to Windows 8 after having a preinstalled Windows 7. The problem is I can't manage to make the webcam work. I have reinstalled the drivers for Wi-Fi, Sound, Synaptics Pointing Device etc from Windows 7 but camera drivers are still a problem. Please help!

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.da_DK.title
carstenmalta
Visitor

I have the very same problem on a VPCSE1C5E. Every time I find a workaround (like uninstalling all USB drivers, taking the battery out etc.), it works until after a couple of restarts. it's not like the camera is very good or anything, but it's annoying that it doesn't work with Skype and such.

profile.country.en_GB.title
helios44
Explorer

I have the same problem on 2 Sony Viao's: a VPCF11Z1E upgraded from Win7 to 8, and a new SVE1712C5E with Win 8 installed. The Z1E webcam was fine in Win7, and is still listed in device manager with the correct drivers. Pressing "camera" just loads a blank screen and then reverts to the apps screen. The C5E HD webcam worked initially but not now - and is not listed in device manager anymore. Pressing Camera says "connect a camera". Skype on both show no webcams either. External cams are fine however. Both Sony's have all the latest updates. Hope Sony read this and provide a fix soon.

profile.country.ro_RO.title
epascaru
Visitor

Hello.

Had a similar problem with the webcam on a VPCF23S1E after installing Win 8 Pro and the camera firmware update. Kept trying all kinds of tricks, but I was still getting the error ''USB device not recognized'' or something. I even tried going back to a previous *totally working* Acronis image, and still got the same error with that : )

As far as I could notice, the error *only* disappeared (and the camera came back as usual in the Device Manager) after a complete shutdown and a system fresh start from the off state.

profile.country.de_DE.title
ismirtotalegal
Visitor

Just to give sony a heads up, facing same cam problem on my VPCF23S1E with my still original win7 installation. I mean, what? I thought I buy a Sony to never ever face such problems again? It's the BUILT IN webcam, and I didnt do anything but trying the original firmware update (since it wasnt working anymore)...

Ridiculous.

profile.country.de_DE.title
fcraes
Visitor

I also had the webcam problems with my VPCSE2C5E you mentioned after an update from Win 7 Home to Win 8 Pro. For some other reason I rebuilt the windows search index and up to now it's working again, even after a few restarts. However, I still don't trust in it completely.

aircraft22
Explorer

I had the same problem on my VAIO VPCSE1Z9E.

The solution posted by "belierzz" on http://community.sony.de/t5/Computer-Zubeh%C3%B6r/WebCam-funktioniert-nicht-nach-Update-auf-Windows-... worked for me. I translate it for you:

- deactivate "fast startup" in Windows Power Options, see http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

- shut down your computer

- remove battery

- start your computer and log in --> webcam should work

- shut down your computer

- insert battery. That's it.

profile.country.FR.title
fahisla
New

Hi,

I was facing the webcam issue on a VPCF23S1E after a migration on Windows 10.

I can confirm that this trick also work for Windows 10, it solved my problem.

Thank you very much for the solution aircraft22.

This is the beauty of the internet, 4 years after your post still help people :grin:

Many thanks !!!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @fahisla and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Glad you managed to solve your problem!