Join now - be part of our community!

SonyEricsson EDGE/Wireless LAN PC CARD 89

mcyganik
Visitor

SonyEricsson EDGE/Wireless LAN PC CARD 89

Got an PC CARD GC89 from SonyEricsson, and it´s not working properly in my VAIO VGN-FS395VP. The device installs perfectly but when tring to communicate with the modem i device manager it fails.
Tried the device in an other notebook and it works, can it bee possible that Sony VAIO don't support SonyEricsson device??

Or is it just that my PCMCIA slot is broken?

Anybody got a clue how to get it working....

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

First off, you say it installs perfectly. I take it that means no error message during installation, and everything looking fine in the device manager? Does the WLAN part show up as new network connection in 'network connections' and the device manager? That would indicate that the card is detected and that the PCMCIA slot as such is working.

You say you are trying to communicate with the modem in the device manager and that fails. What exactly are you doing?
Does the software of the SE card find it?

Danstan
Visitor

I seem to be having the same problem, as my PCMCIA card (Globetrotter Combo Edge) does not work properly. The drivers seem to be installed correctly as the wlan as well as GPRS-EDGE parts of the card are recognized by the system. BUT. The wlan option works fine, and the computer is unable to communicate with the modem (WIndows say that it is disconnected, not installed properly, or having IRQ problem, when trying to perform diagnostics). Could you please help me? THe option helpdesk refused to help claiming that this card was sold by T-mobile (where they do not know anything about computers apparantly). I should mention that the card works fine on three other notebooks (Acer, HP, IBM) with the same operating system. I tried to replace the original operating system, but the problem persists. I am desperate. You are my last chance, thank you in advance.

profile.country.DE.title
woschei26
New

This seems to be a sony hardware problem. On my Vaio VGN-SZ1VP a new T-Mobile web'n'walk card compact can't get a connection to 3G/UMTS/EDGE or GPRS. Installation works, everything seems to be fine (no problems in device manager, full T-Mobile Signal) but after starting the connection it takes some seconds and it failes with modem Error 720. The card is originally an Option GTMax . I used original T-Mobile communication center plus a direct dial-in connection. T-Mobiles helpdesk in Germanxy tried to solve it, but gave up after one hour calling. Both Notebook and card has newest firmware, updates etc. What I tried: New installation, switching off internal modem, changing the COM-Ports to a high number outside the array of Toshiba bluetooth stack COM-Ports, deinstallation of all potentially affecting third party software before installation. Nothing worked. Maybe someone has similar experience?

Thanks Wolfram

profile.country.DE.title
woschei26
New

At least I was able to fix the problem with a complete reinstallation of all software including Windows

Best wishes

Wolfram

DickVreeswijk
Visitor

This total reinstall is not an option.
I have the same problem, and seeing the forum, many have.
The UMTS card works without any problem on any brand of laptop, only not Sony.
I had contact with a Sony engineer 1 month ago. He was trying to find a solution. But they are not very interested since there is no answer.
Simple advice would be: If you want to use UMTS never buy a Sony laptop.
The problem is definitely the laptop configuration, not the card.