Join now - be part of our community!

XL 100 DIGITAL SOUND

PDinLeek
Visitor

XL 100 DIGITAL SOUND

Hi

Just tried to set up the machine I bought a couple of months ago.

I use HDMI connector to my Philips LCD - works fine for commercial DVD playback and general computer stuff. (see seperate thread about TV tuner)

I have also connected the optical output into my Yahama amp. It is only reporting a stereo input not a Dolby Digital signal as expected.

The same DVD played through a Sony DVD recorder connected to the amp in similar way gives me full 5.1 surround sound.

Any suggestions about settings, etc would be much appreciated.

I expected this machine to be all singing and dancing!!

Thanks and regards

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi PD,

If you go to CONTROL PANEL select “SOUND REALITY AUDIO” then select “ADVANCED” you will have the option to set Dolby Digital 5:1 sound.

Just a word of caution - I don't think you can have both 5:1 sound and HDMI sound selected together. Selecting 5:1 may disable your sound output to HDMI. You will have to play around with the settings.

:thinking:

I expected this machine to be all singing and dancing!!

More likely to give you a splitting headache and to stamp on your toes!!!

:smileygrin:

PDinLeek
Visitor

Thanks again Blencogo for your advice.

I thought I had selected 5.1 in the advanced sound settings.

How do I disable HDMI sound?

Regards

ZOSFAS
Visitor

Thanks again Blencogo for your advice.

I thought I had selected 5.1 in the advanced sound settings.

Regards

this may be useful for me too...i may even put my old audigy card in to get true 5.1 digital...by the way pd in leek, im from leek also....well i live in sneyd green now but lived in leek for 28 years

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think this is disabled automatically when you check the box next to Dolby Digital Live in Advanced Settings.

I don't have a X100 so I'm not sure if there is an 'Enable HDMI Sound'. If there is uncheck it.

:thinking:

PDinLeek
Visitor

Hi Zosfas - small world. I actually live in Cheddleton near the Boat Inn.

Following Blencogo advice again (see seperate post on TV Tuner) and having updated the Sigma Tel audio driver from the Vaio update site, I went into control panel, classic view, and clicked the Sound Reality Audio icon.

Then I clicked the "advanced" tab. Here there are various options for both the digital and HDMI outputs.

I changed the SPDIF format from the default PCM to AC3. I now have a 5.1 digital signal input to my amp. The HDMI format also changed to AC3 but my Philips LCD seems to be able to decode this.

Hence I now now have digital sound from my Vaio (both the WINDVD and MCE DVD players) available on both my cinema system and TV screen.

Thanks again to Blencogo for "sound" advice.

Regards to you both

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks again to Blencogo for "sound" advice.

Very good LOL
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

marcelbrinkman
Visitor

Hi PD in Leek, Blencogo,

I seem to be facing similar problems. However, while I am able to select 'Enable Dolby Digital' and disable 'Enable HDMI output', the settings change back the moment I leave the Sound Reality settings screen.

Do you knwo what might cause this? I assume that this is the reasons that I only get stereo sounds over my optical cable. Anyway around this?

FYI: I also posted a thread here:http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=35205

Cheers,

Marcel

PDinLeek
Visitor

Hi marcelbrinkman

I have just checked my machine. Mine will also not hold changes to the either enable SPDIF output or HDMI output. Both remain enabled.

However changes to Enable Dolby Digital Live are maintained.

My system works fine. I just have to mute the TV.

Seems there might be a problem in the driver. (I am running the update of 29/5/06 which must be installed manually)

Regards

marcelbrinkman
Visitor

Dear PD,

Thanks for the reply - the settings are indeed maintained.

It actually seems like the Dolby Digital Live setting is the issue for my problem (not getting 5.1 over optical), as things work fine the moment I have (re-)installed the driver. I do get 5.1 sound from both MCE and the DVD without enabling Dolby Digital Live. to get DVD 5.1 I has to change WinDVD setting in Windows (not under MCE).

However, sound quality is still not great for DVD, so I may want to buy a separate sound card a moment in the future.

Cheers,

M.