Join now - be part of our community!

sound input

profile.country.en_GB.title
eremmet
Visitor

sound input

For voice recognition software a decent microphone is connected to a PC via supplied jack sockets. I am told there are USB devices that provide such jacks for notebooks. I would like advice on what to use and I assume some software bolt on is needed.

Ern

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

For most uses, you should be fine with the headphone/microphone jacks that almost all VAIO models have. Any microphone/headset that comes with a 3.5mm plug should work fine for  voice calls, simple recording jobs and voice recognition and is also  mostly dirt cheap.

Only when you need a line-in instead of a microphone in or when your VAIO happens to not have a microphone input is the use of a USB soundcard a good idea.

stephanius
Visitor

addendum:

If you use a professional microphone and mix pult, you may run into a group loop hum issue. There are filters that you can use to counter that.

eremmet
Visitor

Thanks for your response

My Vaio is a VPCSBIV9E and has no jacks.

Ern

stephanius
Visitor

I'd try the internal microphone first. If that is no good. you can try a bluetooth headset if you already one one.

The cheapest option besides the internal microphone should be headset with a USB connector, these are recognized just like a USB soundcard would be and are quite common and affordable.

Check the price of a USB headset you like with that of a USB soundcard plus headset.

I hope this helps.

eremmet
Visitor

Hi steph

I am most grateful for your advice, I will look into these options, and feed back.

Ern