Join now - be part of our community!

Sound Problems with FW21L

Steve160
Visitor

Sound Problems with FW21L

I recently brought a new VGN-FW21L with a Blu-ray drive and HDMI connection but when I connect to my Philips 32PFL776D HD Ready TV via the HDMI link I get a brillant picture but no sound, I've followed all the instructions in the user guide but still can't get any sound. I would be greatfull for any help on this subject. Many Thanks :thinking:

27 REPLIES 27
heraldicone
Visitor

Hi Steve

That's great to hear that you're getting to speak to Sony tomorrow, I'll be VERY interested to hear what, if anything, the resolution is!

PLEASE feel free to say that there are others that are having the same problem as I will happily back you up to the hilt. This thing is driving me crazy and I've more or less given up and pondering if I've made a mistake going for Sony 😞

heraldicone
Visitor

Just a quick update. I've been on to Sony online help again and, so far, they still haven't come up with a resolution but have actually come up with a suggestion that I haven't already tried! However it's not something that I've any idea how to attempt...

They suggested this....

There are a few possilbilities which might be causing your current issue, such as the fact that it might be due to CEC, which is an optional specification to the HDMI standard. Different manufacturers have different interpretations of CEC, thus causing problems with HDMI compliant devices from different manufacturers.
Please consult the user manual of your TV to disable the CEC option for at least the HDMI port which is used to connect your VAIO to the TV.
Please note that some Sony Bravia TV models might also be affected by this.
Therefore please would you check your CEC is disabled and attempt to play the Blu Ray disc again, see if there is audio available now.

Now I'd love to try this-if nothing else to eliminate it from enquiries-BUT I can't find a single mention of it in the TV manual :slight_frown: I've googled it as well without much luck but I have to admit I'm probably not a world class googler.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, is there anyone out there that can give me any advice on how to turn this CEC option off?

Suggestions much appreciated :slight_smile:

PS: The TV model is Philips 37PFL9632D/10

Steve160
Visitor

Hi Guys,

I've been talking to Sony and Philips this afternoon and Sony said as the laptop worked on the LG I tried on the weekend it can't been a hardware problem and he told me that it's possible that the TV won't work with the laptop, but he didn't know why.

So he suggested I spoke to Philips about it to see if they had any clue as to why I can't get any sound out of the TV, but the person from Philips had no information on why it won't play sound, we tried a few different setting on the TV but they didn't work.

So it looks to me that Sony Vaio Laptops and Philips HD Ready TVs DO NOT work together, which has really pissed me off.

I've now plugged it into my Philips surround sound DVD player via the headphone socket and the sounds not to bad, but it could be better.

Anyway I know it doesn't solve the problem, but at least it's an answer.

If anyone does solve this problem please tell us, we'll be really grateful.

Cheers

Steve.

Steve160
Visitor

Sorry just a quick one, I did tell Sony there are about four or five other people with the same problem as this.

Cheers

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Just a quick update. I've been on to Sony online help again and, so far, they still haven't come up with a resolution but have actually come up with a suggestion that I haven't already tried! However it's not something that I've any idea how to attempt...

They suggested this....

There are a few possilbilities which might be causing your current issue, such as the fact that it might be due to CEC, which is an optional specification to the HDMI standard. Different manufacturers have different interpretations of CEC, thus causing problems with HDMI compliant devices from different manufacturers.
Please consult the user manual of your TV to disable the CEC option for at least the HDMI port which is used to connect your VAIO to the TV.
Please note that some Sony Bravia TV models might also be affected by this.
Therefore please would you check your CEC is disabled and attempt to play the Blu Ray disc again, see if there is audio available now.

Now I'd love to try this-if nothing else to eliminate it from enquiries-BUT I can't find a single mention of it in the TV manual :slight_frown: I've googled it as well without much luck but I have to admit I'm probably not a world class googler.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, is there anyone out there that can give me any advice on how to turn this CEC option off?

Suggestions much appreciated :slight_smile:

PS: The TV model is Philips 37PFL9632D/10

Hi heraldicone,

I did a quick search and only found one site that mentioned the Philips 37PFL9632D/10 and CEC, use the following link to view entrust's identical post: Blu Ray Output From Computer To TV Not Working .. :smileygrin:

However further down that thread there is a link with reference to CEC in section 7.2.2 of the Philips manual

heraldicone
Visitor

Hello Thalamus

Thanks for having a scout about for me and well spotted on that thread :slight_smile:

Sadly neither entrust, nor I, have managed to find out how to turn this CEC thing off yet.

I've had a brief look through the manual at any of the bits that looked likely with no luck. I've also emailed Philips support asking them but, as yet, haven't had any reply.

It's very frustrating and only made SLIGHTLY better by the fact that there are a few others besides myself that have the same problem, so not just me being a berk 🙂

Cheers

Hydro_h2o
Visitor

Hi guys. I've had sound problems recently after updating WinDVD which resulted in no sound when the application was running - but only over the HMDI link, and only when the WinDVD was running (other apps worked fine on their own). I've now resolved my probs, so thought I'd post my fix in case it helps.

NB - I'm not using a Phillips screen (got a Samsung).

• Unplug the HDMI cable and close WinDVD
Go to: options
    1. Select the HDMI properties
    2. Go to "enhancements" tab. Click "Restore Defaults". Click Apply.
    3. Then click "Disable all enhancements" checkbox and hit ok
    4. Plug in HDMI cable and open Win DVD
    5. Sound then worked when playing DVDs

It's quite specific in that the HDMI cable must be unplugged before this will work - don't ask me why! - but it's helped me correct the problem twice now (had to go back to a restore point).

Hope it helps.

hakan439
Visitor

Hi guys. I've had sound problems recently after updating WinDVD which resulted in no sound when the application was running - but only over the HMDI link, and only when the WinDVD was running (other apps worked fine on their own). I've now resolved my probs, so thought I'd post my fix in case it helps.

NB - I'm not using a Phillips screen (got a Samsung).

1. Unplug the HDMI cable and close WinDVD
Go to: options
    • Go to "enhancements" tab. Click "Restore Defaults". Click Apply.
    • Then click "Disable all enhancements" checkbox and hit ok
    • Plug in HDMI cable and open Win DVD
    • Sound then worked when playing DVDs

It's quite specific in that the HDMI cable must be unplugged before this will work - don't ask me why! - but it's helped me correct the problem twice now (had to go back to a restore point).

Hope it helps.

I have the same problem. I could not even set the HDMI connection enabled. It was greyed out permanantly. Then I uninstalled the driver and then vista loaded microsoft default driver for HDMI. after that, I can enable the HDMI connection from the sound menu and see sound bars moving up and down. however I still can not got anythng from my speakers.

My Setup is FW21E ---> Vestel 26' Full HD LCD (optic SPDIF/P)-> logitech Z5500