Join now - be part of our community!

Stamina/Speed switching.

profile.country.en_GB.title
RyanMH
Visitor

Stamina/Speed switching.

The Stamina/Speed switch on my VGN-SZ5XWN/C model vaio laptop does not seem to work. It stays stuck on stamina, which means it runs on intel graphics rather than the nvidia ones that are used for best performance. When I flick the switch to 'speed' it just keeps the 'stamina' side lit up (LED). Even after restarting the laptop nothing changes. Can somebody help me with this problem? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
nimbystripes
Visitor

It seems like that your nVidia graphic card is already damaged. The only way to fix it is to have it replaced. Just be sure that it will be compatible to your motherboard.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

@nimbystripes.

If you had any knowledge of Vaios, or notebooks in general, you would know that the graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard and is therefore impractical to replace.

Hi RyanMH,

Just in case this is a driver problem, as opposed to a hardware problem with the switch or GPU, check Device Manager for the NVIDIA device. Is it present and reported as working?

If there is a yellow warning symbol then try updating the driver using the original pre-installed version which will be found in the Original drivers package - there are also updates available for both GPU's. These are EXE's. but try the original version before updating.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-SZ5XWN_C/updates

You will need to use the ‘Have Disk’ method from within Device Manager.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RyanMH
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response, but I checked in the device manager and there is no sign of the Nvidia device. The only device of that kind is the Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (the one I wish to be able to change from).