Join now - be part of our community!

Static/Electric shock?

MDTyke
Visitor

Static/Electric shock?

Hey,

I have an FS-415E, and today I notice something. I'm feeling as if my whole laptop is static-y when its plugged in. It's nothing major when it comes to the keyboard or touchpad; nothing really.

But see when I touch the LCD or the back of it, I feel static.. and when I touch it it's like micro-vibrations; it's so strange. Never happened before. Now, it only happens whenever I plug it into the mains.

Does anyone else get this? I'm thinking of calling Sony, I'm a bit unsure what to do about it. Maybe it was always there, but I've never noticed it. It's starting to feel like some kind of fault to me, and it's worrying me because of the importance of stuff on my PC.

Any ideas?

Matt

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Matt,

Yeah I would call VAIO-Link, you shouldn't have that sort of problem.

With christmas and new year though, the wait might be long for repairs but don't take my word for it as they could have it done and back to you by the 27th.

skykit84
New

Did you sort this out by any chance?
I have the same issue with my SZ2XP/C laptop!
BUT... only when my electric blanket is on.

When i turn it off, its fine but as soon as I turn it on, my laptop gets ungrounded so to speak. Touch anywhere on the casing of the screen or around the mouse touch pad and you have this pulsating feel.

Thing is, I dont think its a sony issue as it could be the material of the blanket thats causing it?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Akash84,

It not a good idea to use your Vaio on a blanket as this could cause your Vaio to overheat.. :wink:

skykit84
New

Hi Akash84,

It not a good idea to use your Vaio on a blanket as this could cause your Vaio to overheat.. :wink:

Very Funny :slight_smile:
The blanket goes underneath the bedsheeds... its an underlay sort of thing. Keeps me warm as I have laminated flooring which freezes in winter times!

Besides, laptops are made for "laps" bar the few times laptops have exploded... :slight_smile:

MDTyke
Visitor

Hey,

Believe it or not, I think I did. It stopped happening! I didn't do anything' but I've been sitting the laptop on the floor when I've been finished with it.

I went into a Sony Center and they said to turn it off, take out the battery, and press and hold the powert button for about 30 seconds, and it would decharge it. Didn't actually get to try it, but seemingly it's fixed itself!

I did the same to one of the Sony's in the Sony Center, and believe it or not, it had the same problem! Yet the one beside it didn't!

It was one of the tiny VAIOs and actually I would have said its was far worse than mine!

Matt

kee-lo_

The fire brigade suggest that people don't use electric blankets, but that's OT.

Anyway this shouldn't be happening.

skykit84
New

The fire brigade suggest that people don't use electric blankets, but that's OT.

Anyway this shouldn't be happening.

I've just taken in a Toshiba Sat laptop (its one of the smaller ones with the 12" screen... forgot its model number).

So similar size, similar spec... but no shocking!
The only difference is the casing is plastic on the toshiba and the sony is ... well i dunno what it is... carbon fibre im guessing

i infact did the discharge thing already, i have to do it a lot at work when we repair laptops that suddenly die.

So, now the question is which laptop I'll keep because of this 😆

kee-lo_

You're right, carbon fibre

skykit84
New

You're right, carbon fibre

so its carbon fibre thats causing the issue with the blanket?
I Was almost certain today at work it was happening too although my coleagues blamed it on the carpet... (i was using it on a desk though)

this laptop is turning out to be more of an antisocial laptop who only wants to be used by me, to heat me up and not let my blanket heat me up, and def not be shown to anyone outside the house... i think its jealous!

well today im using it with the blanket on despite the pulsations...