Join now - be part of our community!

Task manager show one processor after downgrade to XP.

Vurn
Visitor

Task manager show one processor after downgrade to XP.

Notebook VGN-SZ4MNR/B. After downgrading, XP's task manager show one processor instead of two (built-in Intel Core 2 T5600 Duo). It seems, XP really use one processor instead of two (for example, sound will jerkly, when game is running). May be somebody know a way to solution this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

First check that Task Manager is set correctly.

Open Task Manager -> Performance Tab -> View -> CPU History -> One Graph per CPU

If that is already set, then we can look at other possibilities.

:thinking:

Vurn
Visitor

Problem was not solved.
Additional info - Device manager reports, that system has two processors - (ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_0) & (ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-
_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_1)
But, when I wrote Java programm, .availableProcessors() inform, that only one processor present. Also, no benefits were found with parallel calculations.

Vurn
Visitor

Up

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

OK - On installation you have to select the type of processor being used and XP then installs the appropriate HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

It is possible you selected the wrong (or default) processor type during installation and so the Uniprocessor HAL was installed in stead of the Multiprocessor HAL.

Have a look here to solve the problem: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

:thinking:

Vurn
Visitor

Solution was not found.
1. XP every time installed as "Uniprocessor ACPI". After change to "Multiprocessor ACPI" - processor remains one. After change to "Multiprocessor MPS" - I see both processors, but drivers are not work.
2. I tried to set up Win 2003 just for test. When Windows prompt "Press F6 to set up specific drivers" during install process, I hit F5, then select "Multiprocessor ACPI System". And after install again see one processor.

What next possible solution?

profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

Only the Windows Xp Pro with Sp2 recognize the multiprocessors...
Try to install it...