Join now - be part of our community!

Thinking of setting up WIFI

Footbacon
Visitor

Thinking of setting up WIFI

But I haven't a clue as to how I go about it.

I've got an FJ1S laptop. What do I need to buy to set everything up?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I bought a Netgear one today. Had a bit of trouble setting it up at first but figured it out.

It's fantastic! :smileygrin:

:cool: hope your enjoying your wireless freedom..:smileygrin:

Footbacon
Visitor

Cheers! :smileygrin:

Just need the weather to pick up so that I can sit with it in the garden. :slight_frown:

I've got another question. (I'm surprised there haven't been more actually!)

This is the one I got: http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/DG834G.aspx?detail=Specification...

When I've connected to the net, it says that it's an unsecured network. How do I secure it? Is a step-by-step guide too much to ask? :slight_smile:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

When I've connected to the net, it says that it's an unsecured network. How do I secure it? Is a step-by-step guide too much to ask?
It's not.:smileycool:

Use this password generator.
http://www.winguides.com/security/password.php
Creat a password with 63 characters, Letters, Mixed Case, Numbers, Punctation.

copy and paste it into a text file.

Go in your Router settings and enable WPA in your wlan settings. Use your new password.

After doing that you will disconnected from wlan. Windows will popup with a new Window. Just for saying there is a WPA secured wlan nearby. Doubleclick the wlan icon in taskbar. Doubleclick your wlan connection and paste the password if it ask. Take a look in your Routers manuel if you need further information. Or just ask and may we do it for you.:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Footbacon,

You may find this Netgear link on security of interest.

Also if you have difficulties configuring wireless security on your DG834G, chapters 3 & 4 of the manual may offer some guidance or if you need further assistance let us know..:smileyhappy:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Wow Seb your network must be like Fort Knocks