Join now - be part of our community!

Touchpad Scroll Issue on VGN-NS10J following Windows 7 upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rhytudor
Visitor

Touchpad Scroll Issue on VGN-NS10J following Windows 7 upgrade

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (formatted and clean installation). However  the touchpad has lost the far right side scroll functionality and was working perfectly prior to the installation of the new OS. The device seems to be a 'PS/2 Compatible Mouse', I have uninstalled this and restarted and the device reinstalls itself automatically but without the scroll function. I have updated the driver however it tells me it is up to date. I have checked the Sony website for drivers for this model however the site does not contain Windows 7 trackpad drivers.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NS10J_S

The model of my laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-NS10J

Thanks for your time,

Rhys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rhys,

I didn't realise you had changed to 64-bit.

You need a Windows 7 64-bit Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.  The first one I have come across is for the VPCEA1S1E and, at your own risk, it is probably worth a try.  You will find it fourth from the top of the list of Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEA1S1E_B/updates

:thinking:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If there is no Windows 7 driver, this usually means the Vista driver is compatible.

Have you tried reinstalling the original Pointing Device / Touchpad driver?  It can be downloaded from the link in your post but under the 'Updates' - 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities Section.

If that doesn't work, come back and we will try to find a Windows 7 driver.

rhytudor
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid the Vista driver is not compatible. I have tried this again and receive the attached message.

Regards,

Rhys

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rhys,

I didn't realise you had changed to 64-bit.

You need a Windows 7 64-bit Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.  The first one I have come across is for the VPCEA1S1E and, at your own risk, it is probably worth a try.  You will find it fourth from the top of the list of Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEA1S1E_B/updates

rhytudor
Visitor

My operating system isn't 64 bit it's 32 bit. Why has my question been closed, my problem has not been solved! I have also tried the driver you have just suggested, however, I am receiving the same error message as before.

Many thanks,

Rhys

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Rhys,

As there is not a touchpad driver listed under Win 7 for your model try the Originally installed Vista driver. Rather than running the setup file update the driver for the PS/2 Compatible Mouse from within Device Manager.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files (synpd.inf is the file you should point to).

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat