Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade for VGC V2S

vaslet
Visitor

Upgrade for VGC V2S

Can anyone please tell me if it's at all possible to upgrade my video card to a Gforce 6000 or more and also is it possible to have more than 1GB of RAM?. I feel like I have a Rolls Royce with a lawnmower engine in it. :cry:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi vaslet and welcome.

You have nVidia GeForce FX Go5700 graphics which are unfortunately a laptop chip not an interchangeable AGP/PCI card. This means you cannot economically change the GPU as it is soldered into the main board.

Sony say 1024MB maximum memory but CRUCIAL.COM are prepared to guarantee that 2048MB will work in your V2S. Many of us use Crucial, so I would be prepared to accept their word for it.

:wink:

vaslet
Visitor

Blencogo. You are a STAR, :smileygrin: Thanks very much for giving me a glimpse of hope and keeping the wife off my back. If I wanted to upgrade the Video card do you have a ballpark figure of the costs?

dobieg
Visitor

You *can't* change the video card - it's part of the main motherboard.

After give years almost constant use my VGC-V2S has a problem on the graphics card & I'm having to replace the entire system.

Welcome to the world of 'all in one' PCs.

I can confirm the 2Gb main memory upgrade works, and you can even shoehorn Windows/7 onto the system (although you might struggle getting this onto a 250Gb HDD)

The analogue TV card seems to be some sort of PCI affair, I'm toying with the idea of sticking in a cheap card and using an external monitor justto be able to pump data onto another system but I'm not holding out much hope - I somehow would have to disable the onboard graphics to do that - & I can't get it to POST properly.