Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading RAM on my VGN-FW21E

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mrminermatt
Visitor

Upgrading RAM on my VGN-FW21E

I bought my Sony Vaio VGN-FW21E about 4 years ago and its getting a bit slow for my needs. I was planning on getting a new computer but before i spend loads of money on one i would like to see if i can upgrade the one i have. I have had a look on a number of sites for more RAM and most of them are for (4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module) which is what the computer currently has installed (i think). I managed to find this (4GB DDR2 PC2-6300 800MHZ SODIMM 200PIN PC2 6400). Is it compatible and could i install two to equal 8GB?  

Thanks

matt

Message was edited by: mrminermatt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Matt,

The maximum memory your notebook can support is 2GB per slot (4GB max).

The memory you have found would seem to be compatible but have a look at the following link as Crucial guarantee compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-FW21%20Series&Cat=RAM

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Matt,

The maximum memory your notebook can support is 2GB per slot (4GB max).

The memory you have found would seem to be compatible but have a look at the following link as Crucial guarantee compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-FW21%20Series&Cat=RAM

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.it_IT.title
Raviska
Visitor

Hi Mat

By any chance do you have recovery disks for FW21e. I would ne more grateful if you pass it to me

mrminermatt
Visitor
mrminermatt
Visitor

looks like i may have to invest in a new laptop then. thanks for the help rich.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome Matt.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
julian384
New

Is this limit due to the originally installed operating system or is it actually a hardware limit? The Intel specifications for the chipset say it can take up to 8GB.