Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading the Memory on VGC-V2M

Jassi
Visitor

Upgrading the Memory on VGC-V2M

Hi all, i havent used this forum much to ask questions about my sony vgc-v2m 9as it has never given me problems). But recently have thought about upgrading the memory before i get windows vista.

I'v seen the 515mb memory and just wanted to find out if any 1 would know what part number it is (incase i get the wrong 1).

Secondly is it hard to put the memory in the slot myself? Or would i need to take it down to a sony centre?

Thanks.
Regards
Jassi :slight_smile:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jassi,

Your V2M can take up to 2048MB of DDR PC3200 DDR400 RAM.

Sony RAM is very expensive - have a look at CRUCIAL.COM - many of us have used this supplier as they give excellent service and guarantee compatibility.

HERE are the instructions for replacing your memory modules.

:wink:

Jassi
Visitor

Hi Jassi,

Your V2M can take up to 2048MB of DDR PC3200 DDR400 RAM.

Sony RAM is very expensive - have a look at CRUCIAL.COM - many of us have used this supplier as they give excellent service and guarantee compatibility.

HERE are the instructions for replacing your memory modules.

Thanks man top stuff, just had a look at the website. Are these memorys by another make? and not sony. I'm guessing it will perform the same however.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't think Sony actually make their memory modules - but they will charge about four times as much as Crucial if you order from them!!

Performance will be the same.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sony don't make their own memory, and some VAIOs have had Crucial memory from day one.

CAM
Visitor

I want to Upgrade my VGC-V2S which has the same setup.
The Crucail.com site has the Max memory as 2048MB,but the Sony spec sheet has it at 1024MB ,which is correct?
If it is 2GB can I add a 1GB module to the original 512MB fitted in the other slot ? so I can Upgrade to the Max 2GB in the future, or do the two module have to be the same?

ANy help appreciated
CAM

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi CAM,

It should be OK to add just one 1GB module to the 512MB already installed as your computer has "2 slots of 1" - this means that the memory need not be paired.

If you mix speeds, remember that ALL memory will only work at the speed of the slowest module.

If Crucial recommend an upgrade, they do guarantee compatibility - others have fitted 2048MB and it has worked OK.

CAM
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Blencogo
I will give it a go Crucial do a 2GB kit (1GBx2} which will work out cheaper in the long run, the Modules being the same spec as the orginal PC3200(DDR400) so no problems.
I have alot of application that are memory hungery photo edit & printing etc..
SO more memory should speed things up
all the best
CAM

profile.country.en_GB.title
jonleung1
Visitor

Hi CAM - this is an old post, but were you successful with this? I still use my VGC-V2S despite having a much newer PC, but I like my VAIO!

I upgraded my machine to 2 x 512Mb ages ago, and recently read that it may be able to support more. I bought 2 x 1Gb PC3200 DDR400 modules, but when I put them in the machine wouldn't boot. I took one out and reinstalled one of the 512Mb, and it booted but only showed 512Mb. One tool that I ran (CPU-Z) showed 1536Mb (1024 + 512) but I can't get the system to see the extra memory.

I've checked the BIOS and I have the latest (2005), and emailed ASUSTek for help but they only seem set up to support ASUS computers, not their motherboards.

Any help welcome! I know the machine is old but I like it, and would love to be able to squeeze a bit more life out of it.

Jon