Join now - be part of our community!

urgent!! my modem does not work...

baghee
Visitor

urgent!! my modem does not work...

I am experiencing a lot of trouble with the modem on my laptop.
It's a Sony VAIO model PCG-FX804. The modem is Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data,Fax Modem.
Last saturday may 1st, I tried to connect to the internet through my usual provider and I got an error message from my notebook saying that the port which the modem should have used was already occupied by some other device (error 633). I checked all the ports and no conflict was visible. However, it seems as if the computer no longer "sees" the modem.
I re-installed the driver and got the same error message or error 692.
I then tried to go back to a previous configuration of the system (back one month approx) but it did not solve the problem. The modem apparently does not exist. I went back to older configurations, no effect.
I updated the modem driver by downloading files from the productor and it did not help.
The bizarre thing is that untile the day before all connections worked properly and I never had a problem.
Any idea of what's happening? I scanned the computer for viruses and it looks safe.
Thank you for any help!!!

7 REPLIES 7
grahambird80
Visitor

Sounds like a hardware error to me, although I could be wrong. I suggest this because if you have restored to a date that the modem previously worked at it should work with out any problems.

Contact sony to see if this is a known issue. It might be cheeper to get yourself a PCMCIA card modem than have the computer repaired (if it is out of warranty) if thats what sony suggests.

Any one else had this problem?

Snipes
Visitor

633 - The port is already in use or is not configured for Remote Access dialout

This error can occur if:

The modem is actually in use - make sure you don't have other applications that are using the modem. Applications that can use the modem include fax software, terminal software (like HyperTerminal), as well as voice software including software that can make your modem an answering machine or speakerphone.

One way of seeing all running applications is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and look at the Task List or Task Manager. This will display the actual program names - it may be difficult to pinpoint which, if any, programs are accessing the modem. Terminating tasks are about the only way - however, if you terminate certain tasks, your system may crash or become unstable.

OR................

The telephone.ini file is missing or damaged - If the telephone.ini file is missing or damaged, you can create a new one by running Tapiini.exe - this file is in the \windows\system folder. Before you run this, rename the telephone.ini file and reboot your PC if it already exists. Then, run the tapiini.exe file. This program will run very quickly and may not appear to do anything. You can verify the program created the telephone.ini file by searching for it.

baghee
Visitor

thank you grahambird80 and Snipes.

I'll try the solutions you suggest this evening and eventually revert to the PCMCIA card.
I should still have the one I used with my old laptop...

It's such a strange case!

baghee
Visitor

Hi again,

I have tried the suggestions you gave me yesterday but I had no chance...
The modem is still unavailable. I keep getting this errorr 633.

But, I have discovered a few new things.

First, according to the task manager, no applications are running apart from my tentative connection to my provider (fax, hyperteminal and similar are not running). I checked if any of the processses going on could be part of them. At first sight they don't but I'll check more carefully.

Second, I get the very same error 633 if I attempt to use the modem for fax or telnet.

Third, if I run a restore to previous configuration, nothing changes in modem functioning, in all cases, the PC detects the device as present and active, but it doesn't work.

Fourth, I don't have a telephone.ini file on my disk, nor a Tapiini.exe file. My system is WindowsXP, maybe I should look for a different name.

Last, I have tried to disinstall and re-install the modem driver. I cannot do it, if I go to the uninstall.exe file it simply does not launch the progam. The same happens if I attempt to run the .exe file to install a more recent driver I downloaded from the web.

Any idea of what is going on?
Apart from this thing, the system works perfectly well...

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Snipes
Visitor

Make sure the modem named in the DUNS entry matches the name of your installed modem - You can check the name of your modem in ControlPanel->Modems.

Try this link http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns633.asp

Hope it helps

[/url]

AndySevern
Visitor

I've just had a similar problem on my PCG-R600HEK. When trying to dial-up it reports that it 'cannot establish a connection'. The modem is reported as being 'not present' in the telephone and modems screen in settings.
I've tried re-installing the drivers and got failures from "blue screen of death" to a rather helpful "unable to install drivers" message at the end of the proces to now not even comin up wth the Connexant modem device when selecting the .INF file while installing.

Of course, I got the latest modem drivers from the Sony site. This is VERY odd, it's as if the modem doesn't exist.

baghee
Visitor

I shouldn't say so, but I feel a little reassured hearing I am no longer the only one experiencing this problem...
Have you changed anything in your laptop before the trouble started?
I didn't: the only event I could trace back is a connection to the local network at work about one week before, but I think the connection through the modem worked properly soon after that.
On the contrary, at the time when my modem disappeared I was staying at some friends and attempting to connect my laptop through a different telephone line, never used before. But my friends use it regularly it seems.