Join now - be part of our community!

USB failure

algy1
Visitor

USB failure

:cry: Hi . Can anyone offer any advice on the following - I have a Vaio RS704, which hung the other day and needed a hard reset. On restarting, it seems that none of the USB ports are working (including the wireless adapter) and the machine does not recognise any of the card reader slots either. Everthing else seems to work fine, A drive and DVD drives recognised OK.

Is it possible there has been some sort of power surge and could this knock out sections of the PC like this.

All suggestions appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Funnily enough a similar problem was posted a couple of days ago. This may seem completely off the wall but try it anyway as it seems to have worked for the other poster – you have nothing to lose!

Shut down and remove the plug from the wall socket, leave the PC disconnected for half an hour and then plug back in and re-boot….

Apparently this allows all the capacitors to discharge and resets the USB port function.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Apparently this allows all the capacitors to discharge and resets the USB port function.

Really? WOW this is new to me, thanks for the info

algy1
Visitor

Nope! Did nothing for me, but thanks for the suggestion

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Algy,

Found this link which you may find of interest. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Algy,

If you don't find anything to help in Thalamus's link, have a look through the RECENT THREAD that Rich mentions.

Your Card Reader is also an internal USB device - so if you are going to try the uninstalling of all your USB Controllers, also uninstall the card reader which is in the same place in Device Manager.

:thinking: