Join now - be part of our community!

USB2 Ports Acting Like USB1 After Attaching An Archos Device

profile.country.GB.title
fingers_phill
New

USB2 Ports Acting Like USB1 After Attaching An Archos Device

My computer is a Vaio desktop PCV-RZ104

I purchased an Archos AV700 TV from Curry's. I suspected it was faulty as the power seemed a bit 'iffy' Curry's had it back for a day and said they tested it and found no problems so would not replace it.

I attached it via USB to my PC and I could access the unit fine and downloaded the latest firmware update for it.
I also copied a few files and then the machine appeared to 'freeze'. I removed the USB cable and powered the unit off. When I re-atatched the USB my PC just went blank and required it to be switched off then back on gain. Now the Archos would not be recognised and a message came up saying 'USB Device Not Recognised - One of the usb devices to to this computer has malfunctioned etc....'

After speaking to Archos, they suggested the unit was faulty and this time I got it replaced by Curry's. However, I still get this message.

I noticed my external hard drive was extremely slow to copy to. Files that take a couple of minutes took an hour.
I removed the drive and plugged it in again. Windows gave the message 'This device can perform faster - This usb device can perform, faster if you connect it to a hi speed usb2 port.'
I tried it on different ports (all my USB ports are USB2). I can only now assume it was the faulty Archos that caused this.
Of course, when I spoke with Archos (just asking for advice really) they were very defensive and did not want to know as they said it was a PC problem and not an Archos problem - fair enough, but it was their product that caused the problem.

The Archos requires a USB 2 and I can only assume my ports are now acting as USB1 - that is why the Archos will not connect and my hard drive is slow and is giving the 'can perform faster' message.

I have tried re-setting the BIOS. I have run my PC in safe mode and deleted the USB ports etc. and still get teh same problems.

I would be grateful for any advice. I don't really want to restore my OS unless absolutely necessary and only if it would definitely fix the problem.

0 REPLIES 0