Join now - be part of our community!

USB2-Problem on Vaio PCV-RSM31

profile.country.DE.title
siegfried.henschel
New

USB2-Problem on Vaio PCV-RSM31

greetings to all,

at first: please excuse my bad english, its not my native language 😉

to the problem: we have a PCV-RSM31 and the desktop works stable and made no problems since now.
before a week we try to use external harddisks for backup. the case of the disks supports usb2 (tested
on my laptop - works perfect!)
we put the usb cable into the front and the rear connections of the vaio - all connections are working, but
very slow (my opinion: usb 1) the vaio recognises that there is an highspeed medium - but connect not to the
drive with usb2.

we use win xp home with sp2 - i find nothing where i see that the usb ports have problems.
since yesterday, we put an pci-card with usb2 ports into the vaio and with this card he connect with usb2
speed to the harddrives - but he will not connect with the internal ports with usb2 speed.

in the handbook is written, that these ports have usb2 support and accept highspeed products.

where is the problem? i tried to install the win xp new with all drivers, i tried xp professional with sp2
but the vaio will not work with usb2 connectivity on the internal ports.

thanks for help!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi s.henschel and welcome to the forum.

Did you by any chance install any third party drivers that where shipped with the external USB disk drive as these can cause conflict with the native XP USB drivers?

I suggest in the first instance you try uninstalling all USB devices (in Device Manager) and then reboot and let Windows discover and reinstall the correct drivers – make sure that you have no external USB devices attached when you reboot and then attach these one by one and satisfy yourself that they are working correctly prior to connecting subsequent devices.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.DE.title
siegfried.henschel
New

Hy Rich912,

thanks for your hints. i hadn't install third party drivers, but i follow your tips and deinstall
all usb devices, controllers and hubs, which are shown in the system. after restart from windows
the system installs the controllers new and also the hubs (where i think, that every hub stands for
one port on the front side or rear side)
as i looked on the driver dates i found at the "usb universal controller" new dates
(former 2001 now 2006) but every port (every one of the 7 hubs) has the same old dates (year 2001)
the system show same message like every time: connect the usb hardrive with a port which supports
highspeed usb => win xp shows only ports from the pci card - not even one port from the vaio
mainboard.

is their a chance to configure the ports manually and "say" them, they must use usb2?
i looked up in the bios but i didnt found something there...

or is this a known problem with this modell that this series do not understand usb2 (hardware failure?)

the point which makes me nervous is: on a new partition with a clean xp professional
and a sp2 installation: first time connect the hard disks without a third party driver installation
and the system can't connect in usb2 mode...

profile.country.GB.title
fingers_phill
New

Hmmm I have also encountered this problem which occurred when I attached a faulty device. I still canot rectify the problem. I have posted the following in the forum, If anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful

Here is my post -

My computer is a Vaio desktop PCV-RZ104

I purchased an Archos AV700 TV from Curry's. I suspected it was faulty as the power seemed a bit 'iffy' Curry's had it back for a day and said they tested it and found no problems so would not replace it.

I attached it via USB to my PC and I could access the unit fine and downloaded the latest firmware update for it.
I also copied a few files and then the machine appeared to 'freeze'. I removed the USB cable and powered the unit off. When I re-atatched the USB my PC just went blank and required it to be switched off then back on gain. Now the Archos would not be recognised and a message came up saying 'USB Device Not Recognised - One of the usb devices to to this computer has malfunctioned etc....'

After speaking to Archos, they suggested the unit was faulty and this time I got it replaced by Curry's. However, I still get this message.

I noticed my external hard drive was extremely slow to copy to. Files that take a couple of minutes took an hour.
I removed the drive and plugged it in again. Windows gave the message 'This device can perform faster - This usb device can perform, faster if you connect it to a hi speed usb2 port.'
I tried it on different ports (all my USB ports are USB2). I can only now assume it was the faulty Archos that caused this.
Of course, when I spoke with Archos (just asking for advice really) they were very defensive and did not want to know as they said it was a PC problem and not an Archos problem - fair enough, but it was their product that caused the problem.

The Archos requires a USB 2 and I can only assume my ports are now acting as USB1 - that is why the Archos will not connect and my hard drive is slow and is giving the 'can perform faster' message.

I have tried re-setting the BIOS. I have run my PC in safe mode and deleted the USB ports etc. and still get teh same problems.

I would be grateful for any advice. I don't really want to restore my OS unless absolutely necessary and only if it would definitely fix the problem.