Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio AW11S Screen-Light Bleed

vaiococh
Visitor

Vaio AW11S Screen-Light Bleed

I just bought an AW11S and after starting it up for the first time, the screen has some serious light bleed at the bottom 3 inches. This is particularly pronounced in blacks. I have two 'standard' screen vaios, and they don't bleed to this extent. I also checked it against the FW11Z (another dual-lamp screen) at the sony shop and it had practically zero light bleed.

How does sony quantify how much light bleed is acceptable, as I'm REALLY unhappy with this. The laptop is marketed with the blu-ray player, and it's just woefully inadequate with ligh bleed at the bottom of the screen.
Any advice/experience with this laptop would be appreciated.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi vaiococh,

If it was me, I would return it to the shop and ask for a replacement or a refund if it is less than 28 days since you bought it. The shop will say that you need to send it to Sony, but legally the shop is responsible if the article is sold with a defect.

That said, most screens have some light bleed as you say - I cannot see it and you can - but if you are really unhappy, take it back.

:slight_frown:

vaiococh
Visitor

Hi vaiococh,

If it was me, I would return it to the shop and ask for a replacement or a refund if it is less than 28 days since you bought it. The shop will say that you need to send it to Sony, but legally the shop is responsible if the article is sold with a defect.

That said, most screens have some light bleed as you say - I cannot see it and you can - but if you are really unhappy, take it back.

:slight_frown:

I have now sent the laptop back to the seller, who have sent it to their engineer (It was bought on-line, but I am over the 7 day cooling off period). He has done a visual check and decided that it is not a defect! Basically, he has said that if he returns it to Sony, they will refuse to accept it as a defect and send it back to him, so he would be lumbered with the machine and will have to sell it as a 'used' product at a reduced price.

It's just my word against some IT technician. He has done nothing other than look at the screen, and make a decision based on how Sony say they are likely to respond to it's return! I have shown this screen to various people and they have all said that they wouldn't be happy to accept it, yet ONE IT tech says "It's within normal parameters," and I have to accept his decision.

Terrible.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

Can you show us a photo of the bleed?

vaiococh
Visitor

Hi there

Can you show us a photo of the bleed?

This is a sample photo. It's difficult to get the correct exposure (some make the bleed look ridiculously extreme), but this is a very good representation.

A link directly to the image is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vinc3y/3022294180/

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Wow that does look bright to me. I would not be happy at all.

Unfortunately if they say that is acceptable then there may not be much you can do, although that is 'their' technician who may have an ulterior motive.

Are there any other display models in the store you purchased from?
Or in another store for comparison?

Have you contacted Vaio Link yourself to enquire about this?
At the least you could find out their policy and their defined acceptable bleed levels.

vaiococh
Visitor

Wow that does look bright to me. I would not be happy at all.

Unfortunately if they say that is acceptable then there may not be much you can do, although that is 'their' technician who may have an ulterior motive.

Are there any other display models in the store you purchased from?
Or in another store for comparison?

Have you contacted Vaio Link yourself to enquire about this?
At the least you could find out their policy and their defined acceptable bleed levels.

I dodn't buy it from a shop, it was bought online.

I compared it with an FW11ZU (dual lamp also) in a local shop and the bleed on the screen was pretty much unnoticeable. An AR71s was also on show which showed a small amount of bleed at the bottom, but not anything I would be concerned with. I haven't registered the AW11 yet, and it is currently with the enginner, but have regsitered my vaio FE31 with vaio link - Can I still use vaio-link to enquire about the AW do you think?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

If its due back soon you could wait to contact vaio-link when you register it.

If you can't wait then you could certainly contact them to advise you :slight_smile: