Join now - be part of our community!

Purple line running Vertical down my screen

edwinchester
Visitor

Purple line running Vertical down my screen

Hi I have a vertical purple line running down my screen from top to bottom about 3" from the right , it has only just appeared and is noticable over anything that isn't white.

Is it a fault?

I have a VGN-AR31M, any help appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi edwinchester,

try connecting your Vaio to an external monitor, do you still have the same problem.?

Do you get the same purple line when in safe mode.?

To enter safe mode restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

edwinchester
Visitor

Hi Thalamus, thanks for your response, the line is visible as soon as I start the laptop up, even on the dark black screen first seen at start up it is there throughout and in safe mode to, it has only just appeared, I have not got any connections to attach to an external monitor.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi edwinchester,

unfortunately I think your problem could be hardware related.. :slight_frown:

I suggest you either contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Or

See if a local repairer in your area can give you an quote for repair, then depending on the cost decide whether you can live with purple line on your screen..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have not got any connections to attach to an external monitor.

You have a 15-pin D-Sub port to connect to an external monitor on the right hand side of your notebook (under a drop down cover).

I tend to agree with Thalamus that this is a hardware problem and could be graphics card or screen related, but would recommend that you try an external monitor as per his suggestion to eliminate an LCD problem....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
edwinchester
Visitor

I have not got any connections to attach to an external monitor.

You have a 15-pin D-Sub port to connect to an external monitor on the right hand side of your notebook (under a drop down cover).

I tend to agree with Thalamus that this is a hardware problem and could be graphics card or screen related, but would recommend that you try an external monitor as per his suggestion to eliminate an LCD problem....

Yes I see this connection, I have a spare monitor at work, I will try it with that tomorrow and report my findings here.

Thanks for your help and I would appreciate if you kept a watch on my report tomorrow, should I require any more assistance.

I have tried to register my model with the Vaio Support, but as the item has no warranty (bought new on eBay september '07) it won't accept the serial number, leaves me in a bit of limbo as far as support is concerned

edwinchester
Visitor

screenshot

Here is a link to the screenshot

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi edwinchester,

What was the result of attaching an external monitor?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
edwinchester
Visitor

Hi edwinchester,

What was the result of attaching an external monitor?

Hi Rich, change of plan, my external monitor at work is a bit cumbersome to move about, so I will take my laptop to work tomorrow and report my findings here in about 12 hours.

Please keep an eye on this thread I will post my results tomorrow.

edwinchester
Visitor

Hi everyone, I tried my laptop with an external monitor and the line was nowhere to be seen, everything looked ok, only see the line on my laptop screen

Any ideas?