Join now - be part of our community!

Purple line running Vertical down my screen

edwinchester
Visitor

Purple line running Vertical down my screen

Hi I have a vertical purple line running down my screen from top to bottom about 3" from the right , it has only just appeared and is noticable over anything that isn't white.

Is it a fault?

I have a VGN-AR31M, any help appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi everyone, I tried my laptop with an external monitor and the line was nowhere to be seen, everything looked ok, only see the line on my laptop screen

Any ideas?

As the purple line does not appear on your external monitor then cause is more likely the screen or screen connections..

edwinchester
Visitor

Hi everyone, I tried my laptop with an external monitor and the line was nowhere to be seen, everything looked ok, only see the line on my laptop screen

Any ideas?

As the purple line does not appear on your external monitor then cause is more likely the screen or screen connections..

Is this repairable then? if so it a replacement screen needed?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi edwinchester,

You have successfully eliminated the graphics card as a source of the propblem so, as Thalamus rightly points out, this is would appear to be an LCD or possibly an inverter/connection problem.

A new LCD will possibly cost more than your notebook is worth so I suggest that you contact an independent repairer for a quotation before committing to any major expense.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
edwinchester
Visitor

Just to follow up on this thread I conacted sony, at first through e-support, I then spoke to someone who quoted me £200 to take the computer away, and do a repair on it! Needless to say, I said forget it I will live with it.

£800 for a unit that is 14 months old and already the screen is faulty. Now another identical yellow line has appeared about 2" away parallel with the purple one, so obviously its on its way out, completely lost my faith in sony.

This will be the last one I buy.

Thanks for the help in this post.