Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio HD ticking

elfuma
Visitor

Vaio HD ticking

Hi everyone
I state in advance that I've searched in the forum before posting this thread.
I purchased a VAIO FS115S ten days ago, and I'm very glad about that.
I've just a doubt. Somethime I hear an annoying ticking from the left side of the pc, in the proximity of the hard disk zone.
The sound is like the hd swapping, but louder and shorter, and often is coupled with the hd regular noise.
This sound is more frequent (I guess) when I leave the pc on and still, and begins after some minutes of inactivity.
I would say that my experience about hd and hardware is only relative to desktop computers, so I can imagine this noise could be the regular behaviour of the laptops.
I know that the best thing to do is to refer to the seller, but I need my laptop for my work so it may be very important to know if I am or not a paranoic;-)

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

A lot of people have had this problem with A series notebooks and it was the concensus that it was normal.

Guess you could try one at the shop to see if it does the same.

Foxhound
Visitor

I've heard the ticking is because of the energy saving function of the Hitachi HDD used in the Sony Notebooks.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

LOL, I have switch of this more or less, uselfull or useless feature.

Milo2201
Visitor

easy load Alison Krauss and chill..heat problem tick problem ... easy answer..after restore hope it works as well as a brick ><<<<:>

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

easy load Alison Krauss and chill..heat problem tick problem ... easy answer..after restore hope it works as well as a brick   ><<<<:>

Who?

elfuma
Visitor

Thank you for your answers.
The point that it's the "usual" behaviour of the power saving routine of the HD allows me to accept it more easily.
This is the only flaw I've detected in this laptop, I think I could forgive Sony for that 😉

Thank you again

Bye

Luca

Eugenepang
Visitor

my vaio also had this kind of tick..tick.. tick.. tho its no very loud.. coz my old vaio is louder...