Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO laptop (SVE153Q1EB) crashed following disk error

profile.country.en_GB.title
stevecummins78
Visitor

VAIO laptop (SVE153Q1EB) crashed following disk error

I recently purchased a Sony VAIO laptop (SVE153Q1EB) which has just crashed following a hard drive error. After resetting the machine Windows 8 would not boot up so I entered the troubleshooting function and carried out a system refresh. I’ve now lost all ,y personal settings and am unable to access the C drive to check if my data is intact. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what should I do next?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi stevecummins78 and welcome.

I'm afraid it may already be too late. You should never carry out a Refresh Windows unless you have a full backup of all programs and data. The 'Refresh' option formats the drive and clean installs Windows 8 - the only things retained are a few applications downloaded from the Windows Store and some Windows Settings. Everything else you have added, your data and all Sony preinstalled software and drivers will be lost.

Because of the preinstalled software and the customised Sony drivers, a Refresh is not of much use on a Vaio unless you intend a clean install.

You will probably need to carry out a full Recovery of the Vaio to factory settings and start again from scratch. I presume you did not make Recovery Discs when you first got the Vaio?

What was the disc error you got? You may need to contact Vaio Support if the disc is damaged on 0870 240 2408 and you will need the correct Vaio Product Model (probably starts SVE1513xxx) and also the Vaio's Serial Number which you will find on the box.

Windows 8 does do some unexpected things and this new Refresh feature is not helpful!!

:thinking: