Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio laptop upgrade

profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

Vaio laptop upgrade

I have a spare Vaio VGN-FJ1Z at home which is a few years old now and runs Windows XP. It never gets used so I was thinking of upgrading it and using it as a back-up in case my present Vaio developed any problems. What I was thinking of doing was fitting a larger hard drive, more memory and either Windows 7 or 8. My question is regarding the processor. Is it possible to upgrade the processor in a laptop or would you have to change the whole motherboard? Is it feasable to even consider trying it? At present it has no graphics card on board so is it possible to fit one in there somewhere? I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has did such an upgrade with regard to problems, parts to use etc.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gozoman.

On the plus side: -

You can fit a larger hard drive - check the old one as there is some confusion on this model.  The specifications say it is an IDE Drive but some users here report they have a SATA Drive fitted.  Make sure you do not get an Advanced Format Drive - check it has 512 bytes per sector.

You can increase the RAM to 2GB.

It is possible to upgrade the processor but it is probably not worth it.  Your model has a Pentium M 740 which is a 1.7GHz, 32-bit processor.  In theory, there are several slightly more powerful processors up to the M780, processor which is 2.27GHz, that will fit in the Socket 479 but other limitations of the system may make this not worth while.  A refurbished one will cost about £90 - a second-hand one £50.

On the minus side: -

The processor family that will fit in this model is a single core, 32-bit processor and this cannot be upgraded to 64-bit.. You will not be able to run any 64-bit software and it will seem slow compared to dual core and more recent processors.

The Intel GMA 915 Graphics cannot handle any advanced features found in Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.  Intel have not supported this chipset and the latest drivers are for XP.  Graphics will be very basic and Aero will not work.

Your choice, but this model is made for use with XP and runs best on the original OS..

profile.country.GB.title
Gozoman

Thanks for that. My present Vaio is running Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel Core i7 CPUM 640 @ 2.8 GHz with 8 GB of Ram and an ATT Mobility Radeon HD 5650. I guess I was hoping to upgrade the old one to some similar sort of spec but I guess that would mean changing the entire motherboard which would start to get into silly money territory.