Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Powers Up In Sleep Mode...or so it looks

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Vaio Powers Up In Sleep Mode...or so it looks

My Vaio is 2 years old and yesterday it went to "sleep" as normal but when I returned it refused to come out of it. I removed battery for 5 mins and powered up but whilst the green power light is on no other lights at the front are lit, WiFi/HDD etc. Screen is blank and I can feel HDD spinning with cover off...just. After a while processor cooling duct gets hot so something is going on. Plug in external monitor and there is no output so I can't see if the laptop is working OK and its a graphics problem. However, for no logical reason the laptop decided to work OK so i backed C drive up and turned off sleep mode. Was fine for a couple of hours then went blank again.  Left alone for a couple of hours and it worked again.

This morning after powering off last night laptop comes on...green power light...but screen is blank and no lights on front. Its easy to think its a "sleep" mode but it could be something more technical. I will try taking all start programs offline but as the laptop "fails" after boot up i can't see it being that.

I am on Win 7 Home edition.

Before I tackle John Lewis under the sale of goods act and all that good stuff has anyone had a similar problem and if so what cured it please ? I suspect a motherboard issue although it could be a software/firmawre issues I know. but given its unpredictable nature its hard to tell at the moment so any help appreciated :slight_smile:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Weirdly it starting working again. but yesterday morning it refused to boot up...no screen, no lights on the front, no bleeps nothing except HDD spinning and CPU getting warm as usual. This morning it boots up fine and has been running since 9.00am....but i have no doubt it will fail again. Swapped memory and HDD without any luck

i'm going to try running Vaio Care diagnostics....but I don't think it will find anything.

favs

motherboard

Bios chip

Message was edited by: gastyli

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

OK...running memory diagnostics and at different points and with different DIMMS the laptop bombs out with either a complete power off with no power light on. Or bombs out but green power light on switch is still on.

Logic syas its the memory controller...not the memory as I've replaced that. Which means the motherboard ...yes ? Anyone any thoughts ?