Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO RX 405 - Ventilation noise

peewee68
Visitor

VAIO RX 405 - Ventilation noise

Since the start of my RX405 desktop VAIO, I've got a ventilator noise; as it turns very slowly (some time), stops (no noise), then turns slow again.

At the same time, another continuous ventilation noise, a normal one, can be heard.

Is there several ventiltors in this desktop ? What can I do to check the problem myself (the guarantee is over). Can it be something "dangerous" for the hardware, implying to go quickly to a retailor to check it ?

Please help; thank you in advance

7 REPLIES 7
chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi peewee68, welcome to CV.

As your out of warranty you can take it apart with no worries. get the hoover out first though, I suspect you have two if not 3 fans in your PC and their likely to be dusty.

Unplug everything and vac out all the vents on the case first before opening it up. then doing the same on the inside, be careful not to bash any parts too hard.

You should notice much better cooling & less noise.

peewee68
Visitor

Many thanks to your answer, I really appreciate :slight_smile:

I will do as you tell me with confidence and will give you a feed back.

Best regards,

P.W.
Paris, France

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'd avoid the hoover, because of the static

peewee68
Visitor

Well, I opened the Vaio; it seems the noise comes from the main power block.

I think it is not a good idea to open it and check the fans of the inside ventilator :thinking: . What's you opinion ?

Thks,

chris_lewis
Visitor

Could be the bearings on one of the Power Supply fans has broken, you may have to buy a replacement PSU as Im not sure if you can just replace the fans. Give a couple of local PC shops a call.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Never open a PSU, they have electricity charges inside them for around 1hr after being unplugged

peewee68
Visitor

OK; I'll go to a retailer.

thank you all for your helphul advises.

Rgds,