Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Update Gone

profile.country.en_IE.title
whatanidiot
Visitor

Vaio Update Gone

I upgraded to Windows 8 as I got the upgrade when I bought my laptop 2 months ago. As I was having so many problems the last solution I was given was to "refresh" my laptop in order to get everything to work. I don't know anything much about PC's so maybe shouldn't have gone ahead but I assumed Windows wouldn't tell me to do something that wasn't to work. I lost everything. I've spent over two days trying to find drivers to reinstall onto the laptop and still I can't as I just don't know how. Vaio Update is no longer in Vaio Care and I can't seem to find a way to get it back. The model I have is SVE1151P1EW. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get it back to how it was, even to go back to Windows 7 at this stage I'd be happier. I have loads of drivers I can't find :slight_frown: Please help

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi whatanidiot and welcome.

I think you must have a SVE1511P1E/W.

You need to use the VAIO UPGRADE KIT which you can download from here: -

https://ebiz3.mentormediacorp.com/sony/windows8/EU/index_welcome.aspx

You also need to read the FAQs about the Windows 8 Upgrade Offer: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/landing/windows_upgrade_offer#software

I think you will need to recover your Vaio back to factory settings with Windows 7.  To do this, turn OFF your Vaio completely and press the ASSIST button and follow the instructions for a Full Recovery.  This may take 3 or 4 hours - so make sure you have the mains adapter connected.

You then need to order or download your VAIO UPGRADE KIT.

Next carry out a MIGRATION upgrade to Windows 8 - DO NOT carry out a full install (like you probably did last time).  The VAIO UPGRADE KIT will not work with a clean install as it needs the software to still be on the Vaio from your Windows 7 installation.

Next run the Vaio Upgrade disc/download to update all the drivers and software to be compatible with Windows 8 - including Vaio Care.

It looks like you have been a bit eager to upgrade without getting the upgrade kit first.  So you will have to revert to Windows 7 first.  Follow the instructions under 'Recover from the recovery area' in your Troubleshooting Guide here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4426910111.pdf

:thinking:

profile.country.en_IE.title
whatanidiot
Visitor

I didn't make any recovery discs :slight_frown: I never download anything onto it so never thought I'd need them...stupid I know! Does this mean I've completely destroyed the laptop? I tried downloading the VAIO upgrade kit but it says it won't work on this laptop and stops the installation....is this because it has Windows 8 on it now? Sorry for all the stupid questions. I can't believe I've been so stupid. Thanks so much for your reply. I really will hold out hope that I haven't completely ruined the laptop.... Oh, also the ASSIST and VAIO buttons on the laptop no longer work :slight_frown: so is it possible to even do the factory restore if I needed to?

Message was edited by: whatanidiot