Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-AR61M screen problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
LukeHeath
Visitor

Vaio VGN-AR61M screen problem

Hi guys, I've got a problem with my laptop, the screen has gone to vertical lines, about an inch and half wide of black, and then normal (what would be on screen), which it does over the entirity of the screen. After letting the system go to some form of error correction in BIOS, it will then change to thick horizontal lines, which distort the view that much that you cannot see anything.

The laptop has been in a repair shop, who have said it was the hinge that is causing the problem, they reworked the video card, and the laptop was working perfectly, up till now, a few days later, where it is now back in the same condition as before.  The hinge has now become loose (completely out of the casing) but this isn't a problem to me as it can stay open at all times and will rarely be moved...

Any help would be great. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

How long ago was it repaired?

It sounds to me like it needs another visit to the repair shop.

:wink:

LukeHeath
Visitor

It was in the repair shop about a week ago, came out and literally 2 days later did the same thing... 

markj1993
Visitor

sounds all too familiar to be a coincidence... most likely to be your graphics card mate 😕

LukeHeath
Visitor

Any way of me testing it to find out if it is? 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is the same problem there when you go into the BIOS?  Try tapping F2 during start-up - when you see the first VAIO screen.  Is the screen OK in the BIOS screens?

Is the same problem there when you connect an external monitor?

• If the fault does not show in the BIOS, it may be a driver or software issue.
  • If the fault shows in the BIOS but not on an external monitor, it is probably the screen itself, or the associated wiring through the hinge that has a fault.
  • If the fault shows in the BIOS and on an external monitor, it is probably your graphics chip that has a fault.

:wink: