Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio / Vista waking up (me also) in the night

MoldCAD
Visitor

Vaio / Vista waking up (me also) in the night

I'm not sure whether this is a Vista or Vaio issue, but even though I have changed all obvious tasks scheduling (like defragmenting, Windows update check etc) from night to day hours, my Vaio still wakes up at 03.00 making noise in my bedroom. Can anyone give me a hint what it might want be doing, and how to change it? Of course I browed the Events log and Task Scheduler settings, but didn't find anything straight and tunable...

6 REPLIES 6
apierc1
Visitor

I don't know if you are downloading stuff or something, but why don't you shut your computer down? at least while you are sleeping. Then it wont make any noise.

MoldCAD
Visitor

I don't know if you are downloading stuff or something, but why don't you shut your computer down? at least while you are sleeping. Then it wont make any noise.

If I don't find a more intelligent solution, I'll be shutting it down of course. I got used to just puuting my PCs to sleep; been doing so with the high-end workstation in another room and it never wakes by itself (running XP of course).

apierc1
Visitor

My previous post was more a question that a suggested solution.

To be honest, 3 am sounds like windows checking for updates, I know you say you have changed this, but it might be worth checking again in the automatic updates in the control panel, otherwise perhaps it is apple checking for updates or something like that, you might have to go through your applications and see if they have automatic checks set.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do you have TVTV installed?

MoldCAD
Visitor

Frankly, I don't know what "TVTV" is - I guess it's connected with the EPG list for the TV providers, right? Well I'm not using the TV on my Vaio, but have indeed checked its functioning (the system scanned and downloaded some stuff, but since I don't have a cable or antenna close to it, it couldn't properly tune and display anything). Are you suggesting it might be updating the EPG? If so, how do I switch it off?

Last night I hibernated my Vaio instead of putting it on standby; I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it up in the morning! In the event browser, I can see traces of it waking up at 03:00 AM, and doing something related to the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) service.

How to change that?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If you don't use it, I'd uninstall it.

Also check the Task Scheduler, you can find it by typing Task in the search box in the start menu