Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Z - Windows 8 CP drivers (beta)

SOLVED
profile.country.sl_SI.title
Orim-VAIO
Visitor

Vaio Z - Windows 8 CP drivers (beta)

Just checking if there are any drivers for Vaio Z (VPCZ12Z9E/X) for Windows 8 CP available or when will be? After upgrade from W7 to W8 (64 bit) everything works expect NVIDIA display driver (NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M) experience is poor (multi monitor scenarios are not working).  I saw NVIDIA has already released new W8 driver (296.17-desktop-win8-64bit-international-preview) but having Sony OEM customized driver upgrade is not supported.   http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-64bit-296.17-preview-driver.html   Thanks, O

Message was edited by: Orim-VAIO

Message was edited by: Orim-VAIO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Orim-VAIO and welcome.

I doubt that Sony will support W8 until after RTM and then only for selected models.

Your VPCZ11 has a hybrid nVidia/Intel Graphics driver which contains the switching mechanism for Speed and Stamina modes.  It may be some time before a W8 version is available.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Orim-VAIO and welcome.

I doubt that Sony will support W8 until after RTM and then only for selected models.

Your VPCZ11 has a hybrid nVidia/Intel Graphics driver which contains the switching mechanism for Speed and Stamina modes.  It may be some time before a W8 version is available.

:thinking:

Orim-VAIO
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,thanks for hads up and prompt replay - will wait and hope for the best :)BR,O
profile.country.nl_NL.title
bartsurminski
Visitor

Did you try to install the Nvidia driver after removing the device with the 'remove driver' checkbox checked?

There shouldn't be a Sony vendor lock that disallowes nvidia drivers to be installed.

Installing the specific intel drivers did fix some issues on my Viao X, take a look here.

Microsoft will be releasing the Windows 8 Release Preview tomorrow, so you can also wait a bit and install the Release Preview instead of the Consumer preview. Check here for a guide.

Hope this works for you.

Orim-VAIO
Visitor

Is there any update regarding Windows 8
drivers availability for EU models. I have found on Sony VAIO US site note on
Windows 8 drivers and potential support for notebooks moving forward. It would
be great if we would have something similar for EU.

US W8 link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os8upgrade.pl?

Thanks