Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-V2S problem

bobcr
Visitor

VGC-V2S problem

Hi all
I know this is the notebook forum but thought someone on here might know the answer to this.
I have a Vaio VGC-VS2 all in one pc/tv that wont boot correctly, on starting at the Vaio logo it shows a smaller screen of white dots in a grid pattern , screen is 215mm wide x 175mm high then on windows XP logo it changes to ten sets of vertical green lines then shuts down.
If I start in safe mode the screen is the same size with sometimes multiple vertical double blue lines and shows the desktop icons that should be there on top of this, The rest of the screen surrounding is just black.
I tried Vaio recovery tool but it says it doesnt recognise my computer as a sony vaio !
Tried system restore too but just comes back the same after this.
I cant find my original discs for the pc.
All help and advice is appreciated.
Bob

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Bob,

Have you made any changes recently?

Are you using the original Operating System or have you changed it?

It is obviously a graphics problem of some sort and could be the driver, the nVidia chip or the screen.

:thinking:

bobcr
Visitor

No its all as original nothing changed and no recent programmes installed.
How would I update the driver ? Could I download this on to a disc from somewhere on my other pc and install that way ?
Thanks
Bob

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you can get into Safe Mode you may be able to reinstall the video driver - you will find it in C:\Drivers\Video.

Alternatively, you may be able to return your Vaio to original factory settings by tapping F10 when you see the first Vaio logo screen.

bobcr
Visitor

Tried reinstalling to original with the F10 suggestion. Now it wont even go in to safe mode as it says the installation isnt complete, try to restart and same again, tried the reinstall in all three options no change any suggestions ?
Bob

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

F10 will only accept the 'Complete Recovery' choice.

If that does not work then there are bigger problems like damaged hard disc sectors or a motherboard problem.

You could contact Sony for a set of Recovery Discs but they will charge for this and there is no guarantee they will work if your hard drive is damaged.

Will it try to boot from the CD Drive?

bobcr
Visitor

Hi
No nothing works so called Sony technical help and they think the graphics card has failed. Can you replace the card on this machine easily or will I have to send it back to Sony ?
Cheers
Bob

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Bob,

Your V2S uses the nVidia GeForce FX Go5700 graphics. This is a mobile laptop chip soldered into the motherboard.

I suspect it will mean replacing the motherboard as soldering in a new chip is quite a delicate job.

Did Vaio Support give you a quote?

:slight_frown:

bobcr
Visitor

Hi
I got a " quote " from Sony today they couldnt tell me the repair cost but said it would be either £231, £384 or £782 so I told them no. Can I buy a motherboard either new or secondhand or have mine repaired by an independant ? The sony person I spoke to first seemed sure it was the graphics card chip that had failed.
Bob