Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A417S no Bluetooth with Vista!

immediate
Visitor

VGN-A417S no Bluetooth with Vista!

I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to throw some light on this problem, please? I have upgraded my Vaio VGN-A417S from XP Home to Vista Ultimate (upgrade option, not clean install) and installed the Vista drivers from:

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s =VGN-A&m=1877&os=7&osl=1

Everything is working apart from Bluetooth. Device Manager finds three instances of "Bluetooth peripheral device" and asks for drivers. It can't find them automatically, nor if I try to install manually from device manager selecting C:\Windows\System32 as the location. There were no Bluetooth drivers shown at the link above, and I can't find a source for them.

Incidentally, I don't seem to get any response when I open a new case at e-support.vaio-link.com and I wonder if it's still in operation?

Many thanks in advance,

Allan

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Allan,

There does not seem to be a Vista Bluetooth Driver for the A-Series.

Either try the same driver as is used for XP. Do you still have C:\Drivers after your upgrade? If so, try pointing the installer at that directory.

Or try the driver other Vaio laptops that have upgraded to Vista seem to use - the TOSHIBA BT 5.00.10 driver available from here:-

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/VISTAUPGRADE/DRIVERS/BLUETOOTH/

:wink:

immediate
Visitor

Thank you very much indeed for your excellent help again Blencogo. One thing I forgot to mention was that I had installed a Bluetooth dongle running under BlueSoleil software in an attempt to get some form of connection working. It did actually work, but only partially with a Nokia N95 phone! Googling this brought up many users with the same problem, which seems to be an incompatibility with the BlueSoleil BT stack. In any case it was a stopgap measure and more curing the symptom than the illness, hence trying again to get the Vaio Bluetooth up and running.

I uninstalled BlueSoleil, although I think it’s left some bits of itself behind as I don’t remember the entry “Bluetooth Radios” being present before. Please see attached screenshot.

I tried the C:\Drivers folder as you suggested. The folder exists, but Device Manager could not find any suitable drivers there.

Next I tried the Toshiba software. I ran setup.exe and after a while it asked me to insert the Bluetooth device. As it’s part of the Vaio, that was obviously a non-starter! I used Wireless Device Switch to disable Bluetooth, then enabled it again. Toshiba installation still asked for the device, so I clicked cancel and it reported a successful installation. However, Device Manager was still showing the same three instances of Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a yellow exclamation mark.

I ran the Toshiba ddsetup.exe and it said the drivers were already installed.

I re-booted. Now I have not three, but seven instances of the offending item, as shown in the screenshot. But here’s the oddest thing of all: it works! The Nokia N95 is communicating with the Vaio perfectly, although Device Manage is reporting a problem there as well.

I don’t really know whether to leave well alone, or try to fix it. The latter option assumes I would know where to start, which at this stage I don’t!

Many thanks again,

Allan